What's new

Help...DMR-E80h for Sale??? (1 Viewer)

Loran Bailey

Auditioning
I just received a Pan DMR-E80H for Christmas. I was a happy camper until I tried to install it and get it up and running. It's been so confusing I'm tempted to SELL it. Then again, it would be nice to have so I decided to post here in hopes that all you techno wizzes (which I am not) could help me out!!

My main problem right now is that I have a digital cable box, which transmits a single channel (that's what I'm told anyway). Because of this, the E80 only recognizes one channel and will not auto-program channels 1-125. This prevents me from being able to set up "timer recording" without having to make sure my cable box is set on the channel I'm attempting to record. This of course defeats the point. I want to be able to set up multiple "timer recording" and basically set it and forget it. I don't want to have to worry about having the cable box set to the channel I'm attempting to record.

I could eliminate the digital cable and just use the E80 as the tuner but I don't want to do this.

Second question...I want to hook up my VCR to the L1 input terminals. Will this allow me to records VHS tapes (not copy protected of course)directly to the HDD? At the same time, I want my kids to be able to put in a tape and watch it on TV without too much problem. What we they have to do to make the tape play since it's going through the E80??

If anyone could advise on these three issues I would greatly appreciate it. And keep in mind that I'm confused enough by the manual so please keep it in as plain of terms as possible.

THANKS!!!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

If it were my setup, I'd run separate wires from the VCR to the TV (or receiver, if that's what you're using). Otherwise your kids have to turn on the E80 and set the system to the E80's input whenever they want to watch a tape.

M.

Michael Fein

Auditioning
I have the Pioneer 510 model which is similar to your Panasonic unit. Regarding your timer recording situation, another alternative would be DirecTV, as they have timer functions built in the satellite receivers which will work in conjunction with the Panasonic unit.

And as for the playback of VCR tapes, I run the analog cables through L2 of my unit. My guess is that you have L1 of your Panasonic unit hooked up to your cable receiver. So, use L2 to the output of your VCR and as Michael mentioned in the previous post, your Panasonic unit will need to be powered on and the proper input selected (L2 - it's really not a big deal). Now your VCR will work properly for playing back tapes or recording VHS content to the HD of your Panasonic unit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Why not? If your digital cable box has either an extra composite or svideo output, why not run your CATV RG6 cable directly into the E80, and then also run the composite/svideo connection to one of the two rear a/v inputs on the E80? Then you could use the E80's internal timer for the majority of your channels and only need to leave the cable box on for those channels which are not available except via the cable box. Many cable boxes also have timers available, so you could use this along with the timer on the E80 when absolutely necessary.

Most of your channels are not transmitted digitally, even with digital cable, so I doubt you will see any video quality differences with this method.

Loran Bailey

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep them coming because everyone has something to add.

I had an idea and think I will try it tomorrow unless someone here already has. What if I ran a splitter out of my wall. Then I could run coax directly to the cable box, which would then be routed to the TV. Then the other coax from the splitter could be run directly to the E80. There would be no need to run the RF out of the E80 since I don't need it as a tuner???? Does this make sense. Is this what Scott was saying above???

Thanks again!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Yes, that was the intent of my suggestion. I have a cable box that I only use to view HDTV programming, and my setup is similar. In my case, I use a 3-1 splitter and send one RG6 cable to the cable box, one to the E80 and one directly to the ANT input of the TV.

Loran Bailey

Auditioning
Thanks Scott (and everyone else who posted)!! I set it up similar to your recommendation and I got it dialed in today. I'm very happy with it. I'm recording some 8 mm tapes tonight and have been pretty impressed with the conversion guality.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Im surprised that a unit(E80) of that caliber doesnt have a mouse or IR emitter to control a cable or DSS box. Or does it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks