What's new

Help! Dish Receiver Query! (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
My brother and I are planning on getting a multi-receiver system from Dish Network soon. He wants the DishPlayer 500 receiver, and I prefer the 4722 model. Given a dual connection, can these two receivers operate off the same Dish 500 software and/or dish? Or is a second dish required?Thanks!!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Dishplayer line has been discontinued. It is "replaced" by the PVR501. If you really want one, get it quickly. Also, there is a rumor that the 4700 line will soon have a software upgrade to the OpenTV system. That will make it a 4900 model. In fact, the PVR is just a 4900 with a hard drive and some extra software to let it record.
Either way you go, two receiver will work just fine with a Dish500.
-Robert

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Thanks! As long as I have the option to utilize my VCR, I'm happy. I just wasn't sure if receivers sharing, say, Dish 500, had to be the same model. :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The only problem will be the remote controls. Both are UHF and have a range of about 100 feet. Unless you go into the setup menu and change the address of one of them, one remote will control both receivers. The instructions on how to change the address are in the manual.
-Robert

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Get the PVR501 man. Maybe 2!!!
The PVR501 is really a sweet machine. 30 Hours of digital audio/video recording inlcluding recording the Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream. No VCR can match the quality and flexibility of this machine. The pause feature is just awesome and the machine records up to the past hour automatically as long as the channel is not changed (ie single tuner). A version w/ 2 tuners will be available next year but will be more $.
Oh, and did I mention no fees for PVR capability EVER unlike Ultimate and TIVO!
If you are new Dish customer check out the deals at Dishdepot.com

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I don't mind the 501PVR, but I still need to have the option of using a VCR in conjunction with a dish, so that's why I like the idea of mix 'n match receivers. :) I appreciate the info on the remote too.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use my VCR along with my Dishplayer all of the time. I'll first record something to the hard drive. If I want to keep it, I'll play it back and have the VCR record it.
I checked over at DBSforums to satisfy my curiosity and found this. When setting up a timer, the 4900 has the options of "Reminder", "Auto Tune" and "VCR". The 501 adds a fourth option of "PTV". Also, here is a screen shot of the 501 setup. VCR is an option. http://www.dishretailer.com/ptv/3.jpg
-Robert

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Thanks! I wasn't sure if the DishPlayer even had a/v jacks for the VCR. I've had cable since 1979 and know I'm getting into new territory now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks