What's new

Help! Did I make the right choice? (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I have all three and I wouldn't give ANY of them up.

Food for thought.

Mike

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently picked up the Xbox and have to say that I am not disappointed yet. Halo is one of the best games I have ever had the chance to play in both single-player and multi-player modes.

My brother-in-law has a PS2. While it is a good system, I prefer the sound/video of the Xbox.

My current fav Xbox games are:

Halo
The Thing
Buffy

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I have all 4 systems, and still use my PS2 the most. I'm hopeing more good stuff comes out for the XBox, but since I'm not into Halo or Sports games that kills a lot of them.
Sure the Xbox looks way nicer, (I have a 57" Sony XBR) but it's really all about the games.
If you'er really into RPGs (like me) The PS2 is the way to go, but then again I still have lots of free time. ;)
The best controler I've found for the Xbox is the madcatz one, it's the perfect size and it doesn't have the less then stellar layout IMHO of the S-type.
However one of my friends with HUGE hands thinks the standard XBox crontrollers rock
O and for graphics on the PS2 that rival even an Xbox checkout Omnimushia 2, it's amazing what they're able to pull out of that system.
For the audio/video-phile the Xbox is the way to go, die hard gamers will have all 3 (or 4) systems, while die hard gamers on a budget will likely own a PS2 for the sheer volume of games you can buy for it.
System bashing is a waste of time IMO, the system for you is all about which one has the games you want to play.
My 2 cents YMMV :)
Brian

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
Trust me...your friends will be purchasing an Xbox in the next year if they want the best system out there. HD compatible, 5.1 sound, hard drive, etc. I have average size hands & I personally love the large controller. I played on a PS2 the other day & thought I was going to break the controller like a child's toy. Once you get used to the larger controller, you probably will not want to go back. Even the smaller Xbox controller handles much better than the PS2 or the GC...but that is my opinion.

As the coming onslaught of new games approaches, you will find that your friends will soon be eating their words. Trust me on that.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Mike sounds like to me that your friends are PS2 fanboys, by that meaning they think the PS2 is the greatest in the world, and to hell with the rest of the systems. I really can't stand people like that, all the systems are great and each have there advantages and disadvantages, it's just a matter of picking out what features and games will suit you best. To me it sounds like you picked out a system that suited you perfect, the XBOX is the only system that has a large libary that supports HDTV Widescreen TV's, plus has killer 5.1 sound in game, not just in cinemas, or FMV like the PS2, although EA has done some good 5.1 in there EA Sports games, anyway. It sounds like your happy with your purchase and that is all that should matter. BTW did you get a coupon for the free DVD remote? Not that you probably need it, but Microsoft is giving them away free via a mail in rebate so it might be cool to pick one up just to have. :) Congrats on your purchase, and just have fun, that's what games are supposed to be all about.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
As the coming onslaught of new games approaches, you will find that your friends will soon be eating their words. Trust me on that.
I don't think his friends will be caring - they'll be too busy playing GTA:Vice City by the sound of things ;)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
The best thing to do is to rent a bunch of XBox games and invite your friends over for a night of gaming. I bet that some of your friends will then run out and buy an XBox for themselves. :) Of course the PS2 has more games to choose from but it's been out a lot longer. I own both systems but the XBox gets most of my playing time.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I have a PS2 as a "safety system". Meaning that it is only around for playing games that are not available on another system. And even then, the game has to be a standout. The image quality of the 'box is so superior that I buy PS2 games only as a last resort (GTA3, FFX, Kingdom Hearts, Frequency).

On non-HD televisions, it isn't as big of a deal, but on a HDTV such as yours, the differences become glaring.

-Dave

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
OT: Brian, how are you holding the controller? I keep my palms pressed against/resting on the large black handles and never cramp up. On the other hand, the PS2/GCN controller is nearly impossible to rest your palms against so my hands do get tired using that for long periods.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I have an X-box, Gamecube and a PS2 and I love all three of them. All the systems go through cycles. Currently my PS2 is getting most of the playing time because of SOCOM online. However, my X-box gets its share with mostly NCAA 2003 and a bit of NFL2K3. I haven't even touched Mario Sunshine since I got SOCOM. I just haven't had the time. Mario is really going to be sitting the bench once GTA: Vice City is released.

I also recommend getting an S-controller. I love that controller. The analog sticks are the best of all the console controllers, but I still love the button layout of the PS2 controller for sports games.

-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks