Help diagnose my 3yr old Philips HDTV projection TV.....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by zane, May 8, 2006.

1. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

Got up today and turned on the TV and its picture is messed up. The colors aren't converged correctly. However it isn't messed up everywhere just like the lower 1/3 or 1/4 of the screen and some in the upper corners. It can't be fixed using the multipoint convergence tool. When I try to use the multipoint convergence the crosshairs are all messed up, they are crooked and uneven. I've attempted to put up a pic of what it looks like. If I can't fix it myself can someone give me a rough estimate of what I should look to pay in my area (TN) for the repair as I don't wanna get ripped.

[​IMG]

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Convergence board, or convergence ICs.
    If just the ICs, figure about 250-300, figure 500 if they do a board replacement.
    If seen this set at WalMart recently in the 799-999 range (brand new).
    Best wishes!!
    Gregg

3. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

Well I got the colors almost perfect using the multipoint convergence however there's stilll the bowing of the picture most notable in the bottom of the screen. Is there any way to adjust that like with computer monitors. I didn't see any options in the menu but perhaps there's something internally?? This TV originally cost about $3000 if I remember correctly however I do think they are the same or similar to Philips ones being sold cheaply now. Due to the fact that the colors fixed pretty well do you still guess $250-$500? or is there more hope since I could mostly fix the colors? Thanks for your time.

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    YOU NEED TO TURN THIS SET OFF and call for a service tech. If you leave it on and continue to fiddle with it, you will totally fry what is left of the convergence board.