help ! design my theater- experts needed!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by darron Z, Jun 24, 2003.

1. darron Z

darron Z Stunt Coordinator

i need some experienced help in laying out my theater which is now a garage. dont worry im in construction and well versed in building. i built the house....
    anyway the garage is 19.5 ft x 19.5 ftx 10ft high . in the right rear corner of the room ther is a water heater and a furnace which i will need access for service /storage . . the house 36" door to the garage is at this corner. if you "box wall" it out , it would occupy minimum 6 x 6 ft space ,including the entrance door, to make a "utility room"of its own.
    i planned on blowing out a door on that same wall, closer to the middle , as the theater entrance , which would put it through a spare bedroom instead of going through the laundry room.
    of course im sealing off the garage rollup door .

in this theater i want /have 3 recliners , one sofa. id like a bar with a couple stools somewhere. almost forgot- where you enter the garage from the house , it is a 2ft eleveation drop to the garage floor , so a platform is no prob. hope this all makes sense. and if someone helps me figure out this, ill be sure to send you something for your time. thanks!!!

2. Jeff Reia

Jeff Reia Auditioning

What is your question? Seems like you have a good idea of what you want to do.

If you are looking for building techniques or pictures......We all have done our fair share of reading and searching.

Ask a specific question and I am sure everyone will help out. I am not sure what you are getting at.

3. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

The January 2003 issue of Audio Video Interiors magazine was titled "Big Theaters Small Rooms".
    Decide how big of a screen you want by borrowing a projector and putting some temporary seats down where you think everyone will sit.
    This way you can kinda see how big you want your screen and your distance for seating.

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

It'd be helpful to post a floorplan of your current propsed theater area, that way the ideas can start coming one after the other.

If you can't post a floorplan online right now, but still have one you can e-mail it to me, I'm more than willing help out. Besides, I like gathering ideas and experience for when I have a house, and am able to build the perfect dedicated home theater, someday.

5. darron Z

darron Z Stunt Coordinator

sorry if i wasnt clear . im just not sure on wall placement and such to achieve the 2:3:5 ratio. will it be a mess if i dont follow that rule? basically im trying to figure out if i have to do something with building an extra wall somewhere. ill try to post a pic of my plan and see what you all think. thanks