Help: Denon AVR3801 Multiroom volume adjust!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gil D, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I am trying to use the Multiroom output for some outdoor speaks. I connected the multi preouts to an external amp (no volume control) and selected "variable" in the setup menu so that I could use the 3801 to control the volume. This doesn't seem to work, but I suspect it's just pilot error. Selecting -40dB gives me an output at very low volume and 0dB is blasting away, both of which are unacceptable.

2. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I still haven't figured it out.
    Anyone?

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Gil: I ran into the same problem with my 3801??? I finally just returned the amp and bought a less costly refurbed 1801 for my outdoor system. It takes up about the same space as the amp and I still can use my CD player with it as I run analog outputs from CD player to my 3801 and digital coax to the 1801. Sorry, I couldn't be of more help... but I've gone through what you are going through and I simply surrendered.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

This may seem like a dumb suggestion, but:
    1. Do you have the slider on the remote in the "Multi" position?
    2. Are you using the volume control buttons that are specifically for the multi-room controls? On my 3300 remote, they are not the same as the normal volume controls.
    This is the way it works on my 3300 (I've been using the multi-room feature for a few years). Is the 3801 the same?
    Todd
    P.S. I have a Pronto CCF, if you have one of those.

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Does assigning the rear center channels to the rear center channels(and not the multiroom)negate use of the multiroom preouts?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

6. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I'm mistaken but I was under the impression with the 3801 you either get rear centers or multi-room, not both.
    Of course maybe that doesn't apply to pre-outs but that might explain the problems here.
    -Alan

7. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I’m not ready to surrender yet. The manual said it does have the capability.
    Not using the rear surrounds (surround Back), yet. And the SB amps are currently assigned to Multiroom. I have tried the speaker outputs and the preouts to my spare amp channels with the same result.

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I found the slider on the remote. First you need to remove the battery cover on the remote. Then remove the batteries to get at the slider [​IMG] - could be worse I guess. Then you've got the the black slider and a red button. Set the black slider to the Multi position. Whatever you do, do not touch the red button. Put the batteries and cover back and your good to go. To set the remote back to control the receiver main repeat the procedure and you can just hit the red button to release the multimode.
    Just kidding [​IMG]
    Someone emailed me the answer that wasn't a member (yet).
    On the remote control there is a button along the top row just beneath the LCD panel. It's the one to the right labeled "RECEIVER". If you press that button the LCD display will cycle from AMP to TUNER to MULTI. Set it on MULTI and you now can adjust the multiroom volume using the +/- buttons on the remote. Set the remote back to AMP mode when you want to control the main volume and source selections.
    [Edited last by Gil D on August 08, 2001 at 08:23 AM]

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Touche!
    I took a look at the 3801/3802 remote, and it's very different from my 3300 remote.
    I wonder if a 3300 Pronto CCF will control the 3801/3802?
    Todd

10. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Gil,
    That was me that e-mailed you (glad I could help) - I just registered today. I tried registering several weeks ago - but they were in the process of moving and not accepting any new users. I just finally got around to doing it today.
    And yes Todd - the new remote for the 3801/3802 is very different from any of the previous Denon remotes. I actually use it to control my entire system, with turn on and turn off macros. Even my wife finds it easy to use!
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Bryan
    "... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"
    Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)
    Denon AVR 3802 RCVR
    Denon DVM 1800 DVD
    JVC 3600U SVHS VCR
    RCA DirecTV
    Klipsch RB5 - L&R
    Klipsch RC3 - Center
    Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds
    Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (Hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)
    Monster Power Conditioner
    Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects
    Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable