Help ! - Denon AVR-2802 or Harman Kardon AVR-320 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nancy Parr, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Nancy Parr

Nancy Parr Agent

I'm looking to upgrade my Home Theater with a DENON AVR-2802 or a Harman/Kardon AVR-320 but I'm not able to make my decision. Please help me.
    Here are the info that I got so far :
    DENON AVR-2802 :
    Pros :6 separates 90 Watts amplifiers (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz, 0.05% THD).
    Do 6.1 without having to use another amplifier, but need it to do 7.1.
    Have a A/B front speakers switch.
    Much more powerful than the H/K, at least on paper (540 Watts compared to 275 Watts for the H/K).
    I can get it locally, much easier if problems happens with the receiver.
    Cons :Seem to have only one power supply for those 6 channels.
    The component video switcher support only 27MHz (not really enough for HDTV).
    Very bad remote control.
    No front panel audio/video inputs.
    Only 4 digital audio input (3 optical, 1 coax).
    Price little bit higher than the H/K.
    Harman Kardon AVR-320.
    Pros :According the specs, this unit has two separates power supplies.
    6 digital audio inputs (3 optical, 3 coax).
    Component video switcher 35MHz so it's really HDTV Ready (max required 37MHz).
    Complete set of front panel audio/video inputs including 2 digital audio (1 optical, 1 coax).
    A much better remote control.
    According to the specs, can decode MP3 audio from MP3 source equipped with S/PDIF digital audio output.
    Cons :Only 5 separates 55 Watts amplifiers (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz, 0.07% THD)., so need a separate amplifier to do 6.1 and 7.1.
    No A/B front speakers switch.
    Cannot obtain it locally, so must buy from outside and the unit has to be delivered, which is "pain in the ass" if a problem happen with the receiver.
    No phono input for a turntable (but I don't use a turntable...).
    So if you can give me insights on those receivers it will be very appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Nancy Parr
    [​IMG]

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

First Nancy, your knowledge is probably driving the single members crazy right about now as well as the married ones that would love to have you educate our wives[​IMG] . In reference to your choice listing the pros and cons always work for me so now you'll need to know what's really important to you. Clearly the HD aspect is a good issue to be concerned about for the future, and the HK takes care of that. In reference to power, don't let 55 watts fool you. HK is very well know in utilizing great gear in reference to the power and sound field. But as you said the HK does have a decoder for 5.1 EX and DTS 6.1 discrete and it's a shame that it only have the 6 channels of amplification. I have a Harman Kardon and the sound is great. Maybe that's the way you should go in deciding which one is listen to them and make the choice.

3. Nancy Parr

Nancy Parr Agent

I know that habitually Home Theater is a "guy" thing, but there is always an exception somewhere, isn't it ? H.T. is a hobby for me and I like quality picture and sound when I watch a movie. That the reason why I have a HDTV and a progressive scan DVD.
    When I buy something expensive (here in Canada those two receivers are somewhere between $1200 and $1650 CDN including sales taxes) I always check the manufacturer specs, do some research on the internet and ask for others opinions on the subject.
    If it's weren't for the 6.1 and the fact that I cannot buy the Harman Kardon locally, I would buy the H/K rright now, but these 2 factors make me hesitate. On the other hands, the guy who sell Harmon Kardon knows what he's talking about when he talk about the HK, the DENON guy think that all DENON receivers have a separate power supply for each channel...
    Is anyone know what will do a Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 receiver when reading a DD EX or DTS ES DVD, will it be able to rightfully reproduce the 5.1 ? (I'm asking this because I don't really need 6 amplifiers in a receiver for now and in the future it will always be possible to use a old stereo amplifier to produce the 6.1 and 7.1 that these 2 receivers can manage).
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]

4. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if I have the answer to any of your questions, but I do own the DENON 2802 and it is a nice receiver. I think you would be happy with it. It has plenty of power for me in my medium sized room (20x13x8). I don't know a thing about the HK. If I can answer any questions for you about the DENON, I will try to help.

5. PascalC

PascalC Agent

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/pdf...eivers_lab.pdf
    DEnon claim= 90watts 6 channels
    6 Channels equal power amplifier section
    Denon 5 channels driven= 74watts
    6 channels driven= 61watts
    I dont know for HK but for exemple MArantz 7200 claim 105watts 6 channel but
    6 channels drivent=27watt
    5 channels driven=29watts
    but Marantz have a nice remote!

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I'll second the 2802. It is a very nice receiver. What speakers will you be running?

7. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

My two cents. Those number are pretty good on the 2802. Good piece from SoundandVision. Recently they just did a review on the Yammy 5490, with six channel driven only 47watts. The 3802 should be on the money, can't wait. Remember how the 3801 did(great).

Charles

8. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Nancy, my vote would be for the Harman.

Try and listen to both on the same brand of speakers with some stereo music. That will make it an easy decision I think.

Please don't think I'm poohing on the Denon, they are very good. I think the new H/K's are an exception. They sound more like seperate preamp/power amp combinations IMHO.

I hope all the receiver manufacturers go to the multiple power supply design in the future.

9. Nancy Parr

Nancy Parr Agent

Thank you all.

Finally I decided to buy the Harman Kardon. The guy who sell it knows what he's talking about and he was open to negotiation. I’m confident that the H/K AVR-320 will be a nice addition to my home theater.

The DENON guy was not open to any negotiation and his best price was $1166 CDN (his cost was $799). When you're not open to negotiation you can't sell, at least not to me.

The Harman Kardon can do the 6.1 and 7.1 with a separate amplifier and I already have an old 100 Watts Marantz and a 200 Watts Pioneer and they both can do this job.

So thanks again and Merry Christmas and Happy new year to everyone.

Nancy :b

10. Richard_Wg

Richard_Wg Extra

Nancy, if don't mind me asking, how much did you get the H/K 320 for? I'm also looking at the denon 2802 and I find the price to be too much for what it does.

thanks

11. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

12. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

On Ebay I saw 320's for about $500, new, but do not know about the warranty. 520's are about $625. I also remember hearing something about S&V testing a H/K rated at 75watts per side in stereo, and they measured over 130watts, so it appears that a 320 would likely put out as much or more than the 2802, if that is a concern.

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Regarding those Sound and Vision labs tests, it's important to note that those measurements were at 1kHz which still doesn't tell the whole story. H/K's power is rated with all channels driven into 8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz.

I'd guess that the Denon 2802 and H/K are about equal in power.