What's new

Help!! Denon 3802 or 2802?? Is the extra 7th channel of amplication worth it?? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I know this topic has been discussed several times before, but I am ready to buy and want some hard advice before I make my purchase.

Is the extra 7th channel of amplication the 3802 provides worth the extra $200? Or, are there features (amplifier power, etc.) that make one unit desireable over the other? I've never heard a 6.1 vs a 7.1 setup, so I'm relying on current owners/listeners who have a little more experience with this for help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RichardMA

Second Unit
There is no 7th channel. Call them (if the Denon actually
does offer amplification twice for the mono rear surround)
channel 6a and 6b.

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the Denon 3802 has a better remote, better amplification (bigger transformer), and uses a 32-bit SHARC processor.
It has an extra DSP mode "Widescreen", but that's not a big deal.
It just does everything the 2802 does, but a little better.

7.1 is essentially the same as 6.1, but you're using two rear effect speakers instead of one. This is the preferred "THX" option. (Even though the Denon 3802 isn't officially certified).
There's probably not a huge difference, but this depends on room size and such.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I have the 3802, and for the price it was a good deal. And no you don't need the 7th amp/waste of money. But the 3802 is a better unit than the 2802. Consider all of these in your decision.
JVC 10=$918
Onkyo 898=$1100
Sony 5es=$770
3802=$800
Yamaha 2200/3200=??????
HK 520= $518=very good deal
Be sure to read the watt ratings post. You will be suprised which brands and models don't live up to their specs.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
In things like this I always try and follow two complimentary "theories". First, buy the best/biggest/fastest thing you can afford, be it watts/channel, processor speed, amount of memory/hard disk, cup size ;) - Second, if you don't you're gonna regret it at some point.
Case in point. I bought the 3802 based solely on reveiws here on the forum. I could've went 6.1 but figured what the hell, speakers come in pairs so I'll go 7.1. Don't regret it one bit. Never thought a second about multi-zone or PLII or any of that. Now that I've got it multi-zone is one of the coolest things about the reciever. Being able to listen to hours of music on the porch while grilling / eating / doing yardwork! Cooool, makes me do this --> :D I'm not sure about the multizone capability of the 2802 but for the little bit more the 3802 is I'd jump on that. The next step up is 4802 which is WAY out of the park - more than double in price. For $200, I'd jump on the 3802.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Both receivers gets very good ratings. I think that the bottom line is affordablity. A buddy of mine had the 2802 then tried the 3802 which he still has. Just my .02 cents.

BTW I have the 3802.

Michael

Keith M.

Second Unit
i would also add that the 3802 will have better re-sale value in the future because of the added amplified channel. We all know upgrades never stop!!

BTW, the remote simply sucks!!! It is the worst remote I have ever used and would recommend purchasing a pronto ASAP!!!

Keith M.

Second Unit
oh forgot to mention i have both the 5800 and 3802. And I personally thought the 3802 was a closer contender to the 5800 performance/quality than the 2802...

John-J

Auditioning
Scott,

Went through the same decision several months ago. The deciding factor for me is that the 3802 has built in amplification to support multi-room capability. While the 2802 supports multi-room, it requires an outboard amp. When using the 3802 internal amps, you lose 6/7 channels but the trade was worth it to us. Obviously, if you don't care about multi-room this is a non-issue. Other factors to consider are the sharc processor and a much, much, much better remote in 3802. Very pleased with the 3802 so far and love the multi-room - we use it a lot. Good luck - tough decision.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
The prices have creeped up on the HK 520 to $569-598. Oh well! Check out 6th ave on the phone and ask them to meet the prices of $5??. They will do you right! Ignore the web site. Even if it costs a little more, the service is great.

Mike_Mag

Auditioning
Scott,
I bought the Denon 3802 (upgraded from the 1801)last summer and have been very happy with it. I am currently running it with MK LCR 750 for the L/C/R and MK550 for the ES channels with the 55 MK II for the surrounds.....it has been worth every cent......Mike

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
I have a 6.1 Sony and 7.1 Onkyo and
due to the size of my room 16.5 x 20
hear no real difference particularly
if you use as I have a large center
channel speaker as 6.1 back surround I
would think the determining factor would
be size of room. As for receiver quality
thats something else again naturally
the best would be the one to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks