Help. Denon 2802, SPL meter and VE/AVIA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I just bought an SPL meter, and have both the AVIA and VE calibration DVDs. I had originally set the level of my speakers using the built in test tones on the 2802 a borrowed SPL meter. Now that I have VE and AVIA, I want to reset the levels. But I don't know how to change the levels of each speaker while playing the DVD. How do I select each individual speaker (without Denon onscreen menu) while the DVD is playing?

BTW, Rat Shack has the analog SPL meter onsale for $29.99 until 3/31/02.

Thanks,

Vlad

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Could you add some detail: What's the reason for not wanting the Denon's onscreen menus? Is it because the screen is too hard to read, or because there's no way to silence the Denon's test tones?

Anyway, on my older Denon I recall that I could set the levels from the remote, but I don't know if that feature is on the 2802.

3. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I don't think there is a way to silence the built-in test tones. But even if there was, The TV won't be able to display the DVD and the Denon's onscreen menu since they are on different inputs. I know there is a way to adjust the channel levels from the remote without the test tones but can't figure it out. The manual doesn't help. I was hoping some Denon owners could help me out.

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Check p. 42 of the Denon 2802 manual. You operate a button on the unit or the remote to choose a channel, and then use the remote's volume control to asjust it.

5. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks, Marc. I checked out the manual and found what you are talking about. The button is called "Channel Select". My only concern is that I think this allows for adjustment of each surround mode and is not a "master" adjustment which affects all modes as in the onscreen menu. But I'll still give it a shot. Thanks.

Vlad

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Hit enter on the remote while playing the Avia test tones. This cycles through each speaker. When you get to the speaker you want to calibrate push the up or down arrow to raise or lower the level.

7. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I tried the "Enter/CH Select" button, and it works just fine, but it seems only to affect the surround mode that I'm and not all surround modes. It seems the only way to adjust them all simultaneously is through the onscreen menu.

8. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Bump.

9. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

Vlad:
    You may want to re-read pg 22-24 of the 2802 manual.
    Choose:
    1) System Setup
    2) Channel Level
    3) Test Tone Mode ---> Default is Auto.
    Choose Manual .
    I think this will allow you to use your own source signals (ie: AVIA or VE tones) and bypass the 2802's internal tones.
    I'm not exactly sure since I haven't calibrated my system yet. Let me know how it goes, because I will attempt calibration with the S&V DVD later this week or next weekend.

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Vlad, I came across this in a search for the Denon 2802 and am wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem.

thanks!

--tom

11. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Hello,

Play your calibration disc, VE or Avia, and write down the channel levels you need to balance while reading your SPL meter. Then go back to the Denon's test tone setup menu and adjust those levels accordingly and now your settings will be global for all modes on the Denon. The great thing about the Denon is, after this you can go back and tweek a individual sound mode if you like to your own taste while not changing the global settings.

James Elvick

12. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

(I was typing while James was posting. His idea is dead on!)

Sorry, but for Denon's, the answer is no. There is no way to universally change the channel levels without the on-board test tones. The individual channel select method only adjusts the mode you are in at the time.

IMO, this is the way I would have done it anyway. There is enough difference between DD/DTS, 5-channel stereo, Widescreen, Matrix and all the others that I want to be able to tweak them all separately. (This is one of the reasons that I may end up shying away from moving to an Outlaw 950. Separate level memories for different modes is not possible...)

13. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Chuck, so it sounds like one can just set up the global settings using Denon's test tones and then for each mode (does this mean DTS, DD, DD-EX, DTS-ES, DTS-ES Discrete, etc or something else?), one can set these up individually using something like the Sound and Vision calibration dvd? I noticed that this dvd comes with test tones for all 5 of the modes I listed. Which is nice since I did notice differences in levels between DD and DTS.

thanks,

--tom

14. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Chuck is pretty much there. I have the Denon 3802 and imagine the issues are the same.

Yes - in the 3802 you can change individual modes only with the discs. But like Chuck, I prefer that. For instance, When listening to music I want my center and rears near silent with a sound stage for the sides and mains in multichannel stereo.

A word about my experience - the pink noise from VE was much better than the denon test tones - both required different levels for the same db, but after hours of dedicated listening, it was clear that the set up using the VE noise was much better.

15. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thomas,

Chuck is 100% correct. I was only able to globally change the settings using the internal test tones. With the AVIA disk and pressing the "Enter/CH Select" button on the remote, I was able to adjust the speaker levels for DD.

16. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thanks Vlad. I am still considering this receiver. I recently bought the Pioneer D811S to try it out but may bring it back and try the another (such as the Denon 2802 although it is a little above the budget). Can I ask another question? Does the Denon have a front L/R stereo only mode. What we need in our house is a way to play stereo cds with no subwoofer output (I have a 4 way Niles speaker selector for the fronts that let's us play music in any of the 4 rooms on the 1st floor of the house). The Pioneer has no such mode. To do what I want to do on the Pioneer, I need to go into the configuration and set the fronts to Large. That discontinues sub output. The problem with this is that my wife doesn't like this method [​IMG] and it can lead to things such as forgetting to switch it back for movies, etc. It would be nice to simply associate the cd input with a direct/stereo/no-sub mode. It seems the Onkyo SR600 has one and so does the Marantz 5200. But I can't tell from the Denon manual if it actually has one. It has a Direct mode but I can't find a detailed explanation of what it does.
    thanks very much,
    --tom

17. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Tom: When the 2802 is in Direct mode (which is a 2 channel mode), you have the option of turning the subwoofer off by using the subwoofer channel level trim. (This is the only mode that allows this.)