HELP! Denon 2800 Problem!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Goldsmith, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

Well I went out and bought a Denon DVD 2800, and thought it looked like a great DVD player. Anyways I get home tonight and hook it up to my TV, plug the component video cables in just like I did with my old Sony DVD player, and when I turn it on, my screen just shows wiggly lines all over the place. So I get out a set of crappy yellow, red and white video/audio cable that most things come with, and plug those in, and plug them into the tv, switch to that input, and holy crap it works like that. So I look in the setup menu of the Denon, and check the video settings. It has a option for Multi, NTSC, or PAL. So I'm retarded and don't know what the hell that means? So I check my Mitsubishi manual, and look at the component video section, and it says that the component video will work with DVD player or other equipment sending a standard NTSC signal (480i). So I go back to the video options of the Denon, and it has a video output option, "Progressive" or "Interlaced" if I choose interlaced, I can use the component video cables and the component video input on the TV, but change it to Progressive, and I get the wiggly lines!
    WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF???????????????????

Does this mean my POS TV can't accept PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD PLAYERS!?!?!?!?!?! It's a BRAND NEW 60" Mitsubishi Big Screen VS-60609, bought it on Fathers day! You would think it would be able to work with these things.

If so, I'm F-ing up a creek without a paddle! I don't want to use interlaced if it sucks, and the whole point of getting a progressive scan DVD is to use PROGRESSIVE SCAN!

ANY HELP PLEASE! What can I do????? Should I run it through my HK AVR 520?

Damn I'm SO pissed right now you don't understand.

2. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Not to sound like a smartass, but the new TV is an HDTV correct? If its just an analog RPTV progressive output wont work, you will need to use interlaced.

Interlaced doesnt suck, its just a different format than progressive scan. Im very happy with my 8 year old Mits 40" analog RPTV. Not to say that I dont want a Mits 55" WS soon.

Earle

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

It would appear that your VS-60609 is one of the analog Silver series line, that is not capable of displaying progressively. Were you led to believe this when you purchased this TV? If you were misled, I would think you should be able to complain about this.

4. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

Yeah my Mits is a rear projection TV, no one told me it would be able to play Progressive scan. I think Mitsubishi tvs are upgradable, so I will call Mitsubishi and ask them about this. It's just a total dissapointment when you buy something and you can't use it to it's full effect [​IMG] I'll be buying an S-video cable and see if that works, if so, that will just have to do for now.
    Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Scott: That's an NTSC-only RPTV, correct? That means it's not HD-capable, and that is the only kind of display that can show a progressive signal. You have an interlaced-only display. But if the RPTV accepts Y-PbPr component-video inputs, do use those. However, you must set the Denon 2800 to interlaced output. JB