Help: Denon 1601 shutting off.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MikeStrahan, Sep 19, 2003.

1. MikeStrahan

MikeStrahan Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine has a Denon 1601 Receiver that powers up for about 3 seconds and then shuts off with the standby light blinking. Any ideas? Known problem? Time for another receiver?

Thanks

2. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

I would start out by checking every connection on both ends to make sure they are secure. Does your friend have a cat who may have chewed on the speaker wire causing a short?

3. Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin Agent

I can't believe that I saw this thread!

I have a Denon 1601 which just did the same thing - for no apparent reason. Nothing has changed since I used the unit last night while watching tv. All of the connections are tight as are all of the speaker wire. The unit is cool and there are no ventilation issues. The manual said that the protection mechanism is kicking in due to either speaker problems or overheating. I tried to intialize the microprocessor as suggested by Denon's website to no avail.

The unit is out of warranty (almost 3 years old) and there is no authorized Denon repair place in NYC (incredibly). Does anyone have any ideas? Since repairing it out of warranty would likely be ridiculously expensive, should I just buy another relatively inexpensive receiver?

4. BobCleary

BobCleary Auditioning

My NAD T751 is doing this too. I have no idea why.