Help! Decision at hand!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Whalen, May 8, 2002.

1. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Hi all!

Okay, I've been outta the console market for YEARS. (Last console I had was a SNES!) Up 'till now, I've been a dedicated PC gamer.

So, my wife has agreed that we should get a new console system. YIPPEE! I like all sorts of games (shooter, driver, strategy,etc) and she tends more towards either puzzle/tetris-type things and/or strategy (simcityish).

We are gonna set up the console with our 32" Tau with a DD5.1 system. So WHICH CONSOLE WOULD YOU SUGGEST? (No component hook-ups available, unless I use a switch box...or I could just go with the S hookup.)

I've been leaning towards the PS2, for the sheer selection of games available. (That way I *know* I'll be able to find games the wife will enjoy.)

On the other hand, I love the tech-level of the Xbox, (the graphics are amazing!) but the game selection seems pretty limited at this time. (But damn if Gotham racing and ... damn...lost it...that fighting game..you know the one...WOW. What graphics!!!)

I'm a little annoyed that the PS2 requires seperate memory cards for PS2 games and PSOne games...extra expense there...but I am really having trouble deciding between these two systems. Any advice?

Both systems price the same locally. (Damn our canadian dollar...argh) Both come with one controller, yes?

Help me out?

2. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Bought the PS2 the day it debuted here in the states. Loved it until the Xbox came out.
    Bought the Xbox on launch day and haven't bought a single PS2 game since.
    I'm way to spoiled by the superior graphics and the outstanding DD5.1, on the fly, realtime, in-game surround sound.
    Yeah, the PS2 has THE library of games to beat. But, what do you expect for a system that had over a year lead time on the Xbox? I remember the 1st year of the PS2. It was anemic all the way until the xmas season, 1 year later.
    For me, (no wife, no kids) the Xbox is a no brainer. It's superior in every single way to all the other consoles EXCEPT for the amount of games available.
    But...there are some people out there working on tons of upcoming games, ya know. [​IMG]
    E3 is right around the corner. The Xbox is expected to make a big impact. If you can wait; wait until E3 is over and see all the killer stuff coming to The Box. It will further help you make a decision.
    Although, I can tell you what I tell my fellow co-workers that have tried deciding on what system to get. If you have kids and it's primarily for them, lean towards the Gamecube; if you have kids and they have an old PSone, lean towards the PS2; if you don't have kids, and you're a confirmed audio/videophile, get The Xbox.

3. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

I have just about every system ever made, and I would suggest the PS2 for sheer number of good games, and variety.
    My stuff

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The PS2 has a ton of excellent games already. Go with that. If you don't care about the number of games, go with the X-Box.

Actually, wait until after E3 to see if prices drop.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

No doubt the Xbox is a tempting system, and the games really are amazing looking. I still have hope for the long term future of the Xbox, since the short term release list is less than stellar (to be fair, that is true for all consoles over the summer). You will get 5.1 with Xbox, a real plus, but if you are making this decision with your wife, I must suggest a PS2. There is just more to please everyone right now. Yes, the Box hasn't had the shelf life to accrue as many games, but do you really want to wait until Xmas for the next batch of killer apps? I recommend PS2, jaggies and all. Unmatched selection for current games. And something else: a good number of PS2 titles are now being released under the 'Greatest Hits' moniker for $19.99.

6. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

If you REALLY want good games, then go Dreamcast! [​IMG]

7. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I suggest a post-E3 price drop Xbox. But at $199 USD each, why not get both the PS2 and Xbox?

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I was faced with the same dilemma in January, but I ultimatly chose PS2. My freind has all three next generation systems PS2, X Box, and Game Cube, and while I was impresed with the X Box, it just had no variety of games. Sure the 5.1 was cool, but I had to ask myself "Is that REALLY nessesary to enjoy a game?" the answer was no, not really.
    And keep this in mind too, while the X Box can store it's own memory within, the amount it can store is less than that of a PS2 memory card, my freind just had to delete some stuff to fit new data on it.
    But the biggest factor I took into considerartion that influenced my decision was this...PS2 is a tried and true proven name.
    Besides, the X Box doesn't have Gran Turismo 3 A Spec. [​IMG]
    Good luck.

9. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

If you're into HT, have an HDTV and a DD-5.1 capable system... Go X-Box! You will be amazed! [​IMG] I have owned both systems, and the X-Box is it for me...

10. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

11. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

12. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Tony,
    I have all three systems and it is hard to recommend one. As of right now, I play my X-box and Gamecube more than my PS2. However, just a couple of months ago, my PS2 was getting played way more than the Cube and Box combined. I suggest reviewing the games that are on all systems and see which ones you want to play more. I would wait until after E3 to see what is upcoming. Personally, if I could only buy one system now it would be the X-box. This is because I am a SEGA fanboy and there are some great SEGA games that are exclusive to the X-box. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

13. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Sounds like you'd get the most out of the PS2. Way more games, and it'll stay that way - look at the upcoming games and you'll see that developers are flocking to the PS2's massive installed base.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think that if you were to buy all three consoles right now and played the equally until you ran out of games (of course, games that you actually wanted) you would probably stop playing the GameCube and X-Box before the PS2.

15. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Thanks for all the advice and opinions everyone! [​IMG]
    As of last night, I'm the proud owner of a shiney new X-Box, and five games. [​IMG] Havin' a blast. (Bought Crash Bandicoot, DOA3, Spiderman, Wreckless and the system was bundled with Amped. Also picked up one of those new S controllers. [​IMG] )
    Ultimatley, I decided to go with the X not only due to it's various techincal advantages, but due to the fact that Microsoft is behind it. While everyone has differing opinions on MS (myself included) I can't deny that a company like that will be in for the long haul. Plus the system is still in it's first year. As others have alluded to, the PS2 didn't have a ton of stellar games in it's first year either. (The advantage being you could play all the PSOne games, of course.) So, here's hoping the X-Box is around to stay!!!
    And I purchased the X-Box from one of those nice stores that offers 30-day price protection, so if the price DOES go down at E3 as is rumoured, I'll get the difference back. And then some. (110% protection...hahaha!)[​IMG]
    Thanks all!

16. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

YOU DIDN'T BUY HALO?!?!?!?!
    [​IMG]

17. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say that. [​IMG] Not long at all. [​IMG]
    Nope. No Halo. I'll pick it up soon, but for now I wanted everything BUT combat/shooter type games. I've got shooter's comin out my butt for my PC...so I'm not anxious to get my paws on Halo. DOA3 on the other hand...no good fighters for the PC. [​IMG] And Amped is just a blast, and gorgeous to boot.
    Very happy with my purchase!

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Can somebody help a gaming newbie out here. I haven't had a console since the PS1, but will be getting an X-Box when they lower the price because I really want to hook it up to my home theater for all the impact.

Basically, my question is what the hell is E3 that everybody seems to be talking about?

19. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

20. SteveChrist

SteveChrist Extra

Hi all,
    I just got the approval from the GF to 'start looking' for a game console. While yes, I do have a 16x9, This will be in the kids room 4x3.
    I'm totally new to game consoles...last one was...Atari. Hey stop laughing all you spoiled next gen'ers. [​IMG]
    Anyway couple of questions:
    1. I seem to hear either PS2 or Xbox. What about the gamecube?
    2. How long do you think PS2 will be around? Is there a NEW version on the way?
    I believe the boy has a PS2 at his dad's house, so games won't be problem there. I personally like shooters and racing.
    Think I should stay with PS2 even if it's getting 'old'?
    Thanks,
    Steve