What's new

Help deciding on Mitsubishi DLP RPTV (1 Viewer)

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Our 10 yr old Mits 55" RPTV is starting to have problems with the red convergence. I know at 10 yrs old, it's really not worth getting it fixed because something else is probably just waiting to go out. Our money situation isn't quite as good as it was when we dropped $2,500 on it and had it ISF'd by Gregg back when we lived in Georgia. I've been looking very hard at the new Mits DLP's since we can actually get something slightly larger for actually less money. The Mitsubishi's all say they have "Smooth 120", which I assumed meant actual 120 hz refresh rates. Now that I've taken a look at the actual specs, all of their refresh rates on all resolutions is only 60hz. I always hated the old LCD's because of the motion blur. I'm wanting some feedback on whether these sets have bad motion blur. We now live in Alabama, and there are no dealers close to us that I can go demo a set at, so I need some help. Even if I could go demo one, I know how poorly they are usually set up at dealers. I'm wondering what they actually look like properly calibrated. I absolutely love our current set, so I'm happy with Mitsubishi's reputation, but it bothers me a little that they advertise these sets as though they are 120hz, it's pretty misleading, but how do they actually perform. We have a dedicated media room that is very dark and totally light controlled, so I'm not worried about that end of things.

Thanks for any help.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

Mits makes some great DLPs, especially when you consider the price.

keep a look out at dell.com and also tigerdirect.com

Ive seen some of the 73" versions for around $1100.

Always consider professional calibration for image opimization.

If you have a dedicated space you may also want to consider a front projector?

feel free to email me for FP details.

Happy hunting!!

Gregg

[email protected]

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Gregg, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new 65838 on Saturday. Amazon was running some unbelievable prices over the weekend on that model. Amazon actually pulled their price back up by the time I had decided, but two of their vendors that had good feedback still had that price, so I called one of them directly and worked out the deal. Tried Onecall first, but they wouldn't even come near the price. Should be here in (somewhat) rural Alabama by Thursday if the stars line up correctly.

It's been, what, about 10 yrs sinc you and Michael made your Atlanta tour and calibrated my (then) new RPTV. 10 yrs and two moves later it still looked unbelievable until the red convergence went crazy. So, how much does it run 10 yrs later to get a DLP ISF'd?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Congrats. I never owned a DLP TV, but I love my DLP projector. Generally, how long do the bulbs last on DLP TV's like this?

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it's somewhere around 5,000 hours, IIRC. They're down to $99 bucks now, direct from Mits, and I understand it's a very easy swap, so that's not much of a concern anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks