Help deciding on a reciever with a few questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Timm.L, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Timm.L

Timm.L Auditioning

I need help deciding with my purchase of a new receiver. I have done some research and I'm still up in the air on a few things. I figure the easiest way to do this would to mention what my needs are and see what is recommended. This receiver will be for both music and movie purposes.

1. Price range 1,000-2,500 USD
    2. Would like THX select certification, the Ultra is out of my price range
    3. Ideally would like 3 HDMI inputs, could settle with 2. I need some clarification here as well. I have one HDMI input on my HDTV. Will I run the HDMI cord from my DVD player to the receiver and then receiver to TV? Or just straight to the HDTV? If I did the later it seems I would be losing some of the quality of the HDMI.
    4. I have started to notice the new DVD players coming out with their new codecs. Would I benefit from a receiver that can download updates from the manufacturer to help eliminate the need to buy a new receiver?
    5. I will be running definitive technology tower speakers with my receiver
    6. TV I am using is the Sony KDF-E50A10

I think thats about it. I will gladly answer any additional questions. Brands of the receivers I have been looking @ include Denon, Pioneer Elite and Marantz

Lastly, I was talking to a circuit city employee who said he had been in contact with some Onyko reps. The rep stated that the newest receivers will most likely be like computers that will be easily upgradeable.(good news for us)

Thanks again for all your help and input

Timm.L

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Welcome to the Forum, Timm! I can’t answer all your questions, but I’ll tackle the ones that I can.

Assuming your TV has only one HDMI, if you connect the DVD player to it, then you won’t be able to connect the receiver to it. That means anything connected to your receiver via HDMI will have no path to the television.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Timm.L

Timm.L Auditioning

What do most people do?

Do most people run their DVD players to the TV, then audio cords to receiver

OR

DVD player to the receiver then receiver to TV via the HDMI output?

Still looking for inputs on receivers, help narrow my search. I've already visited all the websites of brands I've been looking @ but feel overwhelmed half the time.

Timm.L