Help deciding on a projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin_F, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

Some of you may remember me from last week, I asked about the differences between a tv and a projector. At the end of the thread I stated that after weighing everything that a tv would probably be best for me.

Well, lets just say that I have a change of heart [​IMG]

I came to the conclusion that I could use the projector in the basement for movie watching and any family or friends gatherings. As for my PS2, I can leave it on the tv upstairs in the family room, so the bulb life is not much of an issue. With me not using the projector as my main source for viewing, I figure I can get a few years out of each bulb.

I am currently planning to get a 100" screen (suggestions on screens are welcome) and am looking to spend about $1500 on the projector alone, maybe a little more if necessary. I would like something that can be watched with the lights on if need be as well as there will be times when this may happen. If more info is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at the Infocus SP4805, there is a deal at the end of this month with rebates for 1000.00 check out costco

3. MikeHerbst

MikeHerbst Stunt Coordinator

Everyone points to the 4805 because it is a real winner in terms of value per dollar. However I don't think its really got the brightness to be watched in full lighting. (No true HT projector really will.)

If you're talking about being able to watch the superbowl with the lights on, that's one thing. But sitting down to watch a (potentially dark) movie in a well lit room will just be a disappointment.

If you're just anticipating needing some "indirect light" because not everyone wants to watch movies in pitch black, then no problem, I found projectorcentral.com very helpful, especially with their breakdown of "recommended HT projectors under $XX price" categories.

4. Kevin_F

iI am not planning to watch programs in full light, I have dimmer in the area where the projector will be placed. Most of the time it will be indirect light in another portion of the basement

5. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

you would probably be ok with the 4805 then, it is a great value even at 1200 bucks, I wish I could get one but I want to have a 120" or bigger screen and I hear thats pushing it for the 4805 but on a 100" I know it looks great, I previewed one in a room that had moderate light and I didnt see any problems

6. Kevin_F

Does anyone have any experience with the Mitsubishi HC3?