help decide on Polk RTi10 vs Paradigm Monitor-9

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jason_Chen_LA, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Jason_Chen_LA

hello,

I auditioned some Paradigm Monitor-9 speakers last weekend at a local audio shop. while the owner dismissed Polk (or Boston Acoustic) speakers as not even close to the Paradigm or JMlab speakers, (I wonder if that's his personal opinion, or if that's the general feeling around here) to be honest I didn't hear much difference from the Polk RTi10 speakers I heard a week ago. maybe my ears aren't that good to tell the difference, or like they say, "our audio memory is very short". I wonder how or what I could do to help make the decision. they cost about the same. so I'd like to hear your experience or opinion if you have heard both these speakers.

thanks!

Jason

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Well if they sound the same to you, look at price, asthetics, efficiency, power handling, frequency response and dealer attitude to make up your mind. This should make it much easier to decide. I've only heard the Monitor 9's but didn't like them compared to the 11's which I bought, so I can't compare the two.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Paradigms will have a better resale value. IMO, the 9s are a bit boomy, and I'd go with 7s or 11s. I have not heard the RTi10, but I have never been a big fan of Polk's RT speakers.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I agree with John ...though if you can budget the money in get the 11's...and like john I am not a fan of Polk speakers.

5. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    Auditioning takes a bit of learning. After hearing a few demonstrations, at different stores, you start to understand the factors that make the speakers sound different, including:

your mood (!)...
    the mood of the session (crowded, relaxed, noisy, ect)
    the acoustics in the store
    the equipment driving the speakers
    and than, the speakers you are auditioning.

what i can say to make you happy (...), is after a while you will hear the sound you like, and be able to decide.
    btw, comparing speakers a week apart is a bit hard for a "rookie", no offence.

did you consider paradigm reference 20?
    coupled with a subwoofer, and driven by a good reciever (or amp), they'll give the monitors, even the 11, a run for their money. (better imo)
    sorry for the lengthy answer
    [​IMG]

6. Jason_Chen_LA

no doubt I'm a rookie in this hobby, no offense taken, your advice is quite helpful. actually I do need to learn how to audition, what to look (listen) for.

you also brought up a very good point - the set up in the store. I wonder if it's because the Polk speakers were carefully set up at CC, while the Monitors speakers were brought in from another room, hooked up right then and there, the Polk speakers gave me a strong impression of the "center illusion" (the voice seemed to be coming out of the center speaker while they were actually coming from 2 fronts), while the Monitors didn't. maybe the Polks sounded better than they actually are because they are carefully positioned, while the Monitors sounded not as good as they should because they were hastely set up?

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

you gotta take 'em home and try 'em out! there's really no other way. see if the dealer will let you take the paradigms home for an audition, or at least be willing to let you return them for full credit within 30days if not satisfied (most will). and even though cc probably will not let you try a pair out, in my experience, they have a very liberal return policy.

as far as the polk-bashing goes, ignore it. if they sound good to you, that's ALL that counts. i recently set about replacing my polks, and specifically avoided polks because i had had them for so long and wanted another brand speaker. but i'll be damned if i didn't almost get some polks, again (got KEFs). polks sound good to me, especially for the money.

8. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

If you cant make up your mind, its always good to go and hear some real good setup, with proper amplification (at a higher-end store), and learn what makes a better sound.
    i remember first time i heard Star wars through a 8-10k system, i was blown away. only than did i start to realize the full range of equipment out there.

i also read a lot of reviews at audioreview.com.

sometimes you learn to apreciate sound (and your gear) after certain time.
    there's always room for improvment (addiction...)
    finally, if it sounds good, its probably good![​IMG]

9. Brent_j

Brent_j Stunt Coordinator

I picked up some RTi10's on Saturday and I must say, what a fantastic set of speakers. I compaired them to alot of speakers in the same price range and always went back to the Polks. They are a very solid speaker. fantastic with music of all variety, and for HT they are phenomenal.
    Match them with the MASSIVE CXi5 Center channel and some FXi3's di-pole/bi-pole and you have one hell of a system. I am very satisfied with my decision.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not only do you have to consider the setup and the room, but also the electronics you are listening to. They should be of a similar price point and quality. I tend to reposition the speakers myself, to see what I get in their room.

I also agree with itai's comment to at least give the Studios a listen.

Actually, it is with music that I feel the Polks lack. The LSi line is a whole different story though...

11. Jason_Chen_LA

what do you mean by "boomy"? I'm new at this, still learning the way to describe sound characteristics.

thanks.

12. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Being "boomy" essentially means that the lower bass frequencies are not incredibly clear, are muffled, and that boominess is usually overly accentuated.

In other words, they do not integrate well with the overall sound.

13. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Oh yeah, I would second/third that opinion about listening to some 20s or 40s if you can spring it. This is coming from someone who's gone through Polk R30s, Paradigm Mon7s, and now 100s and 40s.