Help decide on a new receiver or amp and AV Proc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stegner, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Scott Stegner

OK, I normally keep equipment for many years but find myself upgrading my receiver after just 10 months! Anyway I am looking for suggestions at the $1200 to $1700 street price range for either a receiver or possibly a separate amp and processor setup. I can probably stay with 5.1 as far as speakers because my room does not lend itself to extra rear speakers. I do not care about a slew of digital processor modes, i.e. concert, hall, unplugged etc., just want good Dobly Digital, DPLII (or maybe NEO although never tried it), DTS etc. I would like several digital inputs. Additional features that would be nice, but not showstoppers are, ability upgrade firmware, ability to connect to a network and play MP3's located on a home network. The more clean power the better.

2. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I think these fall into your price range. Denon 4802, Onkyo 898 or the new 900, Marantz 8200. I really liked the Marantz but it costs a fortune here in Canada so I went with a Denon 3802. Hope this helps get you started.

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I would suggest the HK 8000 or the Rotel RSX1055, if you are looking for a receiver. The HK, if my experience with the 520 is any indication, will be a hell of a unit, and it also does Logic 7 for 5.1 sources. Logic 7 is, I believe, the best surround mode out there. And the HK will be about as musical a receiver as you can get. The rotel has had a couple of rave reviews, and many believe that it is basically the same preamp section as the RSP1066.