What's new

HELP. Debt Collector - I have no idea what to do! (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I once had a debt collection agency contact me because I hadn't paid my Zales card. I opened a card during a promotion, with every intention of paying it off as soon as the bill arrived. However, Zales never sent me a bill. A year goes by, and I get contacted by this collection agency. I eventually get in touch with Zales, and they say they'll mail a statement out to me. A week goes by, still nothing. I have Zales send me a -registered- bill, and still, I never recieve it, nor do they have any record of my recieving it. In the end I just paid by check over the phone, but still, it was very odd.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Reminds of a few years back, when I received a letter from a collection agency saying I had never paid for a magazine subscription I ordered.

How much was the magazine? It's amazing sometimes how companies will use debt collectors on small purchases.

I've gotten nasty letters about stuff from the CD clubs- stuff I never ordered and returned unopened when I received it. I think it was $20-30, & I was surprised they bothered with a collection agency for that. Since I had already returned it, the letters went right in the trash.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

I imagine they just bundle up a large number of them at once and sell them at an even bigger than usual discount to the collectors. I can't imagine a subscription service using collections for a $20 debt, but if they accumulate 10,000 of them over the course of a year, it would be worth calling the collection agency.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Nice story.

I was once harrassed by a credit agency over a bill of about $300. I told them to go back to the company who hired them, that it wasn't a problem, then ignored their following correspondence. They stopped bothering me. I think that this kind of company is bluffing most of the time with their threats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks