What's new

Help convince me I made the right choice : ) (1 Viewer)

Bryan_Tams

Agent
I just purchased my first surround sound receiver ever and chose the (H/K AVR525) and I am having buyers remorse - please assure me that I made the right decision - after all if was less expensive than the Denon 3803 and much less than the Pioneer 45TX.
Do I need up conversion and higher bandwidth on the Denon 3803?
Do I need DTS 96/24?
Do I need more Watts?
One final question, if I am playing FM Stereo, should should Logic7 5.1 M play to all 5 speakers? I am only getting sound from the front and center.
Thanks - Great Forum :)

Bryan,
you can sit back and enjoy the purchase that you made. There is NO reason for you to have remorse for picking up the HK525. If it sounds as good as the HK 520 that it replaces ,you WILL BE satisfied for a long time. I wouldn't worry too much about the DTS 96/24 because there is not alot of software encoded in that format to my knowledge.The HK's are very well respected on this forum. Others will chime in shortly with their thoughts. RELAX and enjoy the HK!!

Bryan,
you can sit back and enjoy the purchase that you made. There is NO reason for you to have remorse for picking up the HK525. If it sounds as good as the HK 520 that it replaces ,you WILL BE satisfied for a long time. I wouldn't worry too much about the DTS 96/24 because there is not alot of software encoded in that format to my knowledge.The HK's are very well respected on this forum. Others will chime in shortly with their thoughts. RELAX and enjoy the HK!!

DanaA

Screenwriter
Are you kidding me??? You just sit back and enjoy that great receiver you got. At that price, that is absolutely the one I would have chosen. Superb choice!!!

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious as to what is causing this buyer's remorse. Do you not like the sound? Do you want more features? I think Harmon Kardon is great, I'm getting the cheaper AVR320. However, I said this to someone in a post earlier today. No matter what anyone says, what reviews they get, if it doesn't sound right to you, then their is a problem and it might not ever sound right. I had a similar situation with an older Onkyo receiver and it was always missing "something" Anyways I got a Denon after that which I loved and I hope that continues with the Harmon Kardon. I'm pretty picky, but my budget does not allow for a picky listener. I think you are in the "sweet spot" for nice, solid performance.

ive been doing alot of research and ive chosen the avr525 for so many reasons...the power it says it makes is the power if not more that it makes..its got pre outs if the need ever arrises when i do need or want more power and for me i think it looks great....ive heard several of there older units and have loved them...avr 510 and the avr 7000.
and the price i can get it for made the final decison easy..
699 at circuit city after they price match from costco.com
so IMO i dont think you made a bad decision in any way shape or form

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
There shouldn't be any need to have any buyer's remorse. Just enjoy the heck out of your purchase. I don't know of anyone who has purchased some H/K gear and said it stunk. There were only a few rumors of poor H/K quality in their gear from a few years back, but all of that seems to have cleared up.

In regards to the question of needing more watts, we really can't answer that one for you without additional input. Are you happy with the power it produces? What speakers are you running? What is their efficiency? What is the size of your listening area? All of these variables will need to be answered before people can provide you with appropriate answers.

The good news is that with hopefully the money you saved from buying the H/K over the Denon or the Pioneer Elite -you should still have several hundred $$ left over to apply towards a separate amplifier if required.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Do you have a display that requires component input (hence the up conversion function) and is the HK incapable of passing a progressive component signal and do you have a progressive display device?

mike_doyle

Agent
A lot of us only wish we had a 525.... :) AVR 320 it is for me.. Youve got a sweet receiver in your hot little hands there. :)
Enjoy it...

Bryan_Tams

Agent
Thanks for all the positive responses. I continue to tinker with it each night and can see why it gets such good response. The output level is fine, still getting used to the - db reading. My current speakers are cheap Infinity (came with the house) satellites, so hopefully I can pick up some better quality down the road.

Thanks again.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Oh my God, you bought WHAT??!! BWA HA HA HA HA! Poor, poor you....you must feel so....ashamed....

:wink:

[note for the terminally humor impaired, this is just a joke]

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I have the HK AVR525 as well. I purchased it from ecost.com. In my own opinion, I dont think that there is a better receiver for the money. (Especially for the price I bought it at!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks