HELP! Convergence on Sony KP46WS500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayQuinty, Jan 7, 2003.

1. JayQuinty

JayQuinty Extra

Total novice here in need a little assistance. I've had my KP46WT500 for about 2 weeks now. Since then, I've let the TV run for over 100 hours so it should be "warmed up", so to speak.

I have it hooked up to a Hughes E86 HD DirectTV receiver via high quality component video cables. Right out of the box, this TV set really impressed me. The HD picture is drop dead gorgeous; DVD's are very nice, and the SD stuff is, well, fuzzy or blurry would be the best description.

I bought the Avia and ran thru the process of setting Color, Tint, Black & White, and Contrast. It's interesting to note that I really had a difficult time achieving results much different from the factory settings. Most of my settings are at, or slightly above/below the middle mark. (Sony does not give a numerical reference for these settings. Just little bars that you move back and forth.)

Anyway, I need help in checking and/or manually setting the convergence. The TV has an auto-focus button that supposedly sets the convergence for you, but I'm looking to see if I can improve on this. Can anyone tell me how to manually converge this TV? Also, I recently read on this forum that many of you don't use the S-video or component video cables for your SD feeds because the picture is apparently worse thru these cables than thru coax or composite. So when I get home I'm going to try using the running the SD stuff thru either coax or composite and see if I get better results.

And finally, if any of you other Sony owners want to chime in with some tips/hints on how to improve this set, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Jay

2. Rain

Rain Producer

If you are not satisfied with the "Flash Focus" convergence, you should probably consider calling for a service tech.

I was told that manual convergence adjustment is covered under warranty.

However, be warned that if the service tech. does not feel that it is bad enough to warrant the effort, they won't do it.

I have no idea how to do it myself and it looks rather daunting.

3. JayQuinty

JayQuinty Extra

Thanks Rain. I guess it's not that I'm "not satisfied" with the flash focus, but rather just wondering if it's possible to do it manually and would that achieve better results? For the most part, the picture looks great and I don't have any complaints...other than the reflections off the screen [​IMG]
    I'm totally new to the RPTV arena, so I don't know much other than what I've gleaned from reading this forum for the last 4 weeks. Anyway, it sounds like you're familiar with it and that it's quite difficult, so I'll likely just leave it as it is.
    I just requested membership on the Yahoo Newsgroup for Sony tips, but my membership is pending. It looks like they have a lot of info over there: URL=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/]Yahoo Newsgroup - Sony HDTV Tips[/url]
    Jay
    BTW: Did you run Avia? If so, what are your settings

4. Gary_Sc

Gary_Sc Agent

I would suggest using the convergence pattern on Avia first. Bring up that pattern and see how the convergence looks. Unfortunately you can only access the convergence controls from within the service menu. I would strongly suggest against accessing the service menu unless you are experienced and have the service manual handy.