Help connecting optical audio from DVD to new Sony STR 995

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt Hilton, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Matt Hilton

Matt Hilton Extra

My DVD player's digital audio out is optical. It does not have component video out, only S-Video. (I had to modify this post, removing the link to a pic, so I hope you can envision this...) The place for DVD inputs has S-Video with analog audio inputs grouped with it.The receiver's digital audio connects are grouped elswhere on the back of the receiver and they include 3 optical inputs (labeled SAT, MD/TAPE, etc., but not DVD) and one coax input labeled "DVD". Will I be able to connect the S-Video and optical audio for DVD? The optical audio connects read "assignable". Is that telling me that if I'm using the S-Video connection under "DVD", that I could also connect the optical cable to the "MD" (for instance), then just assign the "MD" to be DVD? Or is it forcing me to use coax only for digital audio on my DVD? Jeez, I hope that made sence!

I really wish I could post the pic. (here's a link without the http & www: crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-cO08x4fmAjt/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=10420&id=morephotos&pi=6&i=158STR995B&display=XL#morephotos)

Thanks for your help!

2. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    If I understand you right, the answer to your question is YES. Just make sure you assign which ever optical input to the same analog input you are using for the s-video.

3. George=:-oC

George=:-oC Auditioning

In the manual it tells you what new functions you can re-assign the existing optical ports to. I think the MD/DAT can be reassigned to Video 1 or Video 2, something like that. BUt not to DVD. I tried for about 3 wks, finally gave in and went with digital coax, and that sounds awesome. (I am using the "DVD" inputs with component video.) You could switch over to an S-video from your DVD player to Video 1 or 2, the optical input from your DVD to MD/DAT, and reassign MD/DAT as Video 1 or 2, then re-name "Video 1" to read "DVD", something along those lines.