What's new

Help, Connecting new amplifier to receiver! (1 Viewer)

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, after having a few complaints from my neighbours (apartment living, home theater don't mix) I've decided to disconnect my Shiva subwoofer and use my mains for bass and LFE duties. They are Athena as-f2 and with room gain can easily extend into the mid 20Hz range which I am happy with. The only thing is they are power hungry and my older Yamaha HTR-5640's 75 watts don't do them much justice. What I would like to do is connect my 2 mains to a QSC MX-700 amplifier that I was using for my sub. This would give my mains 175 watts each and would put a smile on my face bass wise without shaking the buildings foundation. Problem is my Yamaha receiver does not have preamp outputs for any channels and I can't see any way to bypass the yamaha's amplifier. Is there some way I can connect my amp? Also, I'd like to put my Behringer Feedback destroyer before the QSC amp so I can equalize the lower end if it's possible. Any ideas?

Yamaha HTR-5640 (Receiver)
||
||
Behringer Feedback destroyer (EQ) (1/4", XLR inputs)
||
||
QSC MX-700 (Amplifier) (1/4" inputs, barrier strip balanced inputs)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Without preamp outputs, there is no way to bypass the internal amps. You CAN however, use something called a line level converter that will convert speaker level to line level (RCA). This is more common in car audio, but it should still work. The only one I saw that appeared to be for home use was $59 though at www.partsexpress.com Radioshack might be worth checking too, as well as car audio places.

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John, good idea. I checked out a few car audio places and Ebay and theres a few for around 10 dollars. Since this is just a temporary set-up, unless I really like it, I'd like to go with one of the cheap car audio ones. Anything I should look for in a converter or will any of them work?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've used the cheap ones in the car and they work OK, the signal isn't quite as clean as an actual, decent voltage pre-out, but it gets the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks