What's new

Help - Confused about aspect ratio!! (1 Viewer)

Dave Zemens

Auditioning
I have a brand new 36" Sony Wega KV-36HS20 HDTV. I have a Sony NSP 700 progressive scan DVD player. I am confused about the 16:9 settings.

I assume I should set the DVD player to think the TV is a 16:9, or do I set it at 4:3 or 4:3 pan scan?

Then, when a DVD is playing, I see it in a letter boxed fashion with top and bottom bars. However, when I look at the Wega setup menu, the 16:9 mode is set to "Off", not "On". When I set it to "On", the display gets narrower and the black letter box bars bigger. However, the actual move scene shown is still just as wide as it was before I set the 16:9 mode to "On".

In other words, one of these two letter box modes is the wrong. I can't tell which it is or which one is correct. It appears to me that the "narrower" mode, which shows when I set the 16:9 mode to "On", artifically makes the characters in the scene look to "squashed".

I am confused. What settings do I use for the DVD and the TV? Isn't the TV supposed to automatically set the correct 16:9 mode. Thanks.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have the 36XBR450 and I believe that your set will also auto-detect a 16:9 signal. Set your DVD player for 16:9 TV. When the player sends an anamorphic signal, the TV will detect this and should switch automatically to 16:9 mode, giving you about 30% better resolution!
Good luck,
Chris
Edit for clarification:
If you setup the DVD player for 4:3 Pan&Scan, AND then manually select 16:9 mode, you will get a compressed, funny looking picture.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Note that you will still get black bars on many movies. Most recent films are either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 (roughly). 16:9 is 1.78:1.

So with a 1.85:1 film, you will either see thin black slivers or no black bars at all, depending on how much overscan your TV is displaying.

For 2.35:1 -- the more "cinematic" ratio -- you will definitely get black bars, although they will be shorter than they are on a 4:3 TV.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks