What's new

Help! Computer randomly freezing in certain situations (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
My computer freezes randomly when i do a couple certain things. One is when i type in a URL into the addy bar of the browser, another is when i open the drop-down box in the save-as window to switch drives, and another is when i open Windows Explorer.
I am almost certain that it has something to do with my CD Rom drives. They are all connected somehow... When i type stuff into the address box, if it doesnt freeze, it ususally makes the CD-Rom spin (i can hear it), and it loads the CDRom when i open the drop-down box in the Save-as windows and when I open Windows Explorer. This happens both when i have CDs in the drive and when I dont...
Whats wrong with my computer?
------------------
menasig.jpg

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Possibly shortcuts from files on the CDs that Windows is trying to refresh. I've seen this happen a lot with files on floppy that people have saved, and then Windows tries to reaffirm the shortcuts every so often and the floppy drive goes mad.
Also, it wont help if the CD drives are connected 'weird'. How are the IDE channels arranged on your machine?
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I have my Hard Drives on IDE1, one master and one slave
And my CD-Rom and Burner are on IDE2. the burner is master, Rom is slave...

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Is it a momentary freeze (no more than 10 secs), or does the PC freeze completely, requiring a reboot?

------------------
- Dave

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=bickle

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You would be better off having your IDE configuration like this:
IDE 1
Hard drive 1 (master)
CD-ROM (slave)
IDE 2
Hard drive 2 (master)
CD burner (slave)
The CD drive positions can be swapped over, depending what hard drive you tend to burn from the most. The idea is to have the most common source and destination drives on different controllers.
Running two hard drives on the same controller will cause a bottleneck and is not recommended.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Rob's configuration but that doesn't sound like what's causing your problem. Also check the back of your drives and make sure you have their jumpers set appropriately to master or slave.
Oh yeah a shot in the dark...do a windows update, internet explorer had alot of issues about locking up that were fixed in windows updates.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection
[Edited last by SteveBjr on August 15, 2001 at 03:51 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks