Help!! Computer coming on in "Safe Mode"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Jr, Oct 4, 2002.

1. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    While I was at work today my wife called me and advised me that the computer was coming on in "Safe Mode" and the kids were unable to play any games. She asked if I had done anything to the computer the night before as I was the last one on it. I had been on the internet for about an hour surfing HTF and that's it. I had also gone to Callwave.com and trouble shot my service with them. Prior to that my wife was on checking her email and she responded to an ad from LL Bean and applied for their credit card. The computer is about 2 yrs old and we have never had a problem. Now it comes on in safe mode and says that settings have been changed causing SM and to change them to boot properly. Don't know how to do this. Tried running my HP boot disc, but it is CD and the computer won't even recognize the CD drive or the DVD drive. Running Win 98, Pent 3, 650 MHZ. Any help would be great.

2. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Couple things...
    1) Make sure there's not something like a book depressing the Control key, or any other key for that matter. No I'm not joking here, one of the toughest times I had with a troubleshooting session ended up being a PC residing in a small area and a book had been on the CTRL key, which forces the boot menu (which defaults to Safe Mode if you don't select anything).
    2) Does it boot directly into safe mode? Or will it first come to the boot menu. If no menu, try holding down the CTRL key to force the menu to come up. If you get the menu up, select option 1 to boot normally and see if it will go... I've seen pc's freak out and this was all that was needed to resolve the issue.
    3) Did you change any settings while troubleshooting this Callwave software? Sorry I'm unfamiliar with that app. If so this could have possibly changed some registry settings that can result with what you are seeing.
    4) Do you have virus software installed? Do you keep it current?
    5) Check Device Manager (right click My Computer and select Properties, then Device Manager tab) for anything odd. Red X's, yellow exclamation points... note that not all your hardware will be listed there since it's running safe mode, but it's a start... since a piece of hardware dying is also a possibility.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

You could also boot to the CDrom and see if the disc can repair the install

Can you get into the bios? If so make the CD rom your "first boot device and follow the steps.

Brent

4. David_Jr

Dave

5. Dave Sabo

Check in device manager, is everything ok with your Universal Serial Bus Controllers? Should be at the bottom of the list in Device Manager.

6. David_Jr

Dave
    Dave,
    I have checked the four in the list under usb controllers and in the properties tab of each they tell me "this device is working properly."

7. Dave Sabo

Hmm, what is the make/model of the printer? And I assume it was previously working? And what about when you say 'I can't seem to load'... does that mean it loads/installs but just will not print? Does the printer show up fine in your printers folder?

8. David_Jr

Dave
    I went to the Epson website and went to the troubleshooting FAQ for my Stylus 740. I followed the instructions there to try check the drivers for my printer and the drivers are fine. Yes the printer worked before. There are other instructions at the Epson site, but I'll have to wait until I'm somewhere where I can print them out because to do them you have to close all applications. Thanks much for your help Dave.

9. Dave Sabo

Sounds like you're on the right track as far as troubleshooting. One thing (if you haven't tried this already) is check to see if you can print a Test Page from the General settings tab in Properties for the printer in the printers folder. And before that make sure the printer will print it's own test page without the computer (usually done by holding down a button for a period of time, i'm sure you manual will tell you how specifically)... to rule out a printer problem.

10. David_Jr

Dave
    No luck.[​IMG] Tried it for hours. Tried all of the instructions from the Epson site. Negative. When I get to the end it says unsuccessful installation and gives an error code, something like 1F4. May be a problem with my printer. Do you suppose a new printer would install properly? According to my device manager all of my usb ports are working properly.

11. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

You are trying to install the printer in safe mode right?
    If you have more than one usb port on your pc, try the other usb port.

12. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I would advise right click "My Computer", select "Properties", tab "Device Manager", remove "USB Root hub", hit "Ok" to close "System Properties". Reboot your computer and it should find and install your USB printer correctly (this happened to a friend of mine with his USB cable modem) and seems to be a bug about USB in 98 (it was in a tech support reply that my friend received) as the root hub will read correctly, the printer will read correctly but have the exclamation mark showing conflict. Don't forget to update your version of windows for security patches, updated drivers, and other functions (I don't know what kind of newbie you are, if you are, but those that it might help while online on the windows browser click "Tools", "Windows Update", and then "Product Update" to solve some of your problems).

13. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Also, try another usb cable or try your usb cable on another pc or laptop.
    Also, try installing your Epson printer on another pc or laptop.
    At least this will be a process of elimnation.
    You will know if it's windows (your pc), the usb cable or the printer.

14. Dave Sabo

I didn't catch if you tried to print a test page without the printer even connected... see how to do that in your manual and try it.
    Otherwise Robert's suggestion sounds like a good one to me as well... USB can be funky.
    And since someone touched on it... you are not trying to install in safe mode right? (you solved the safe mode issue by reinstalling)... I don't think Safe Mode will support USB.
    Sounds like you may need to *cringe* call Epson [​IMG]

15. David_Jr

Dave

16. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

If there is no printer in the printers folder reboot.
    Try this.
    Since your Epson will not let you install it's default drivers for the printer, try installing a text/dos printer driver and see if you can print to the Epson.
    Also try this.
    Download the printer drivers from Epson's website.
    Try the ones that you downloaded from Epson's website once you have done that.
    I'm a female techie by they way.

17. David_Jr

Dave
    Got the printer to work using the serial cable and installing the printer software. Seems to be working okay. Am I losing anything by not using the usb? Should I just be happy it works and get on with life?

18. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

19. David_Jr

Dave
    Thanks Robert. I'll give it another shot.

20. David_Jr

Dave
    Tried everything. Couldn't get it working. Decided it was time to buy a new printer, so I consulted Consumer Report and bought the top rated Canon S520 ($120 w/free shipping from Gateway) and it loaded through the USB connection no problem. BTW the Canon is far superior to the Epson I replaced. I understand the ink is much cheaper as well.[​IMG] Thanks for all of the help guys, you're suggestions were actually very helpful, but I guess the printer just couldn't get over the conflicts. Oh well.