What's new

Help -- component to VGA connection problem (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I recently upgraded my Escient Fireball music server to the new E2 model, which is almost identical physically, but they have eliminated the VGA output in favor of a component output (it still has composite and S-video jacks as well). On the previous model I was using the VGA output to connect to a Samsung 17" LCD monitor, which only has a VGA input. Everything was great.

When I saw the new model didn't have a VGA output, I bought a component to VGA cable, thinking that would solve the problem. According to the description of the cable, it would work on receivers outputting component Y-Pb/Cb-Pr/Cr (and the Escient outputs Y-CB-Cr). However, I'm getting no signal and I'm worried I'm going to have to lay out money for a new monitor that has component inputs.

Do I have the wrong cable or am I looking at buying a new monitor? I can't believe Escient would drop a VGA jack (probably for cost considerations) knowing that most of their customers use it to connect to LCD panels, if there wasn't an easy workaround. (Of course, I realize I should have checked all the specs before buying it.)

Thanks.

If it helps, here is the cable I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
VGA in standard implementation is just RGBhv, while component is YPbPr, which are totally different signals. Some products will output YPbPr on a VGA plug, but you'll have to enable it in a menu somewhere. If this is not the case, you will need to purchase a transcoder to move between RGB and YPbPr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks