Help - component cable problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg O' Connel, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought Monster's component cables for my PS2. The problem is, the picture is only in black and white. Yes, I have the three cables hooked up in the correct jacks, and they're connected tightly. I'm only able to get a color picture by jiggling one of the wires, and it's back to black and white by the time I get my TV turned back around. Before I go back to the store to exchange them, I wanted to know if this was a common problem with some component cables, is it fixable, or (if it is at all possible to determine given the available information) if the problem is with my TV.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" [​IMG]

2. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I've had problems at first. I used the 10ft SONY PS2 component cables. It wasn't long enough so I used the MONSTER female RCA to RCA connectors and 2 extra sets of monster M1000v as extentions. The picture was pure YELLOW with no reds and blues. very strange. I guess, in a way, it was really black and white with a sickly yellowish color. I tried placing the console closer so that I didn't need the extentions and the picture was still the same - no color.
    Later on, I got the MONSTER components and, even though it advertises at 10ft, it's actually longer and I didn't need the extension. Needless to say, the color ended up just perfect. Therefore, it must be the cable.
    Elbert

3. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

First off-
    Did you go into your setup menu and make sure that your component cable is setup for YGB?
    Then-
    Make sure that your component in is turned on in your TV setup menu, it didn't come turned on in the factory setup in my JVC TV.
    Third-
    Have you ever hooked ANYTHING up to these inputs other than the PS2? They could be bad. On some lower level TVs, the component ins are put in as an after thought and they won't work (This was rumored to occur on JVC TVs, I apparantly lucked out)
    Good luck in your quest to make your PS2 work with component out, the picture quality is easily double as good as composite.

4. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

Yes, yes, and yes.
    I had my PS2 hooked up with some el-cheapo $10 component cables for months, and the picture was fine. I bought the Monster cables for the higher quality and because I was going to buy an optical cable anyway (they were sold together). I'm hoping the problem is with the cables, since they will deliver a color image if they're jiggled in just the right way. Of course, I don't know whether the jiggling is making the cables work right or the connections inside the TV work right.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" [​IMG]