Help! coming to DVD sans movie

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick McCart, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    That's right, in lieu of actually putting the movie on DVD again...

"Music Video Distributors will release The Beatles: The Making of Help! on March 21st. The DVD will feature twenty minutes of "solid" 4 x 8 mm Kodak film footage (appearing on disc for the very first time) showing The Beatles in the Bahamas, Austria and Salisbury Plain. A limited deluxe edition will also include a book of over 100 previously unseen photos taken in the Bahamas by photographer Jenni Praigg. Retail is $24.95 and $49.95." - www.davisdvd.com

Wow, thanks, MVD! [​IMG]

I think it was rumored that Apple Films would release a special edition (of the actual film) eventually, but nothing so far.

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

$24.95 for 20 minutes!!!...I guess if MVD were going to release the DVD of the film Help! it would be $99.95[​IMG]

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

This looks like one of those "for the Beatles fan who has everything" releases.

On a related note, I have always understood that AMC restored the original mono soundtracks to AHDN and Help! for their cable broadcasts a few years ago, but that these soundtracks have yet to see the light of day on any home video release. Is this true? Is there any hope of getting proper releases of either of these films?

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Help - the movie, not the documentary - is returning to DVD in a two-disc special edition this year, according to Abbeyrd's Beatles Page.

Here's the link: http://abbeyrd.net/news/629helpreissue.html

The report says it will be a 2-disc edition with remixed sound and "rarities." Says it is coming by year end.

5. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Compiled by a few friends,reposted here to amuse you while we wait for the DVD:

TOP TEN LINES FROM HELP! THAT SOUND REALLY PERVERTED WHEN TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT:

10. "What's that?"
    "What?"
    "That whirly thing, coming through his stomach."
    "It's only a hose!"

9. "I wouldn't touch you with a plastic one!"

8. "It's the wrong plug. Give me five minutes."

7. "Oh my goodness gosh. Withdraw! Withdraw!"

6. "Look, John, I've had some great times with this finger."

5. "We have all sorts of problems like this. Some of them matrimonial."

4. "How can I get it off with me hand held up?"

3. "I'm all sticky. You're all red."

2. "That was you buzzing. You naughty boy."

and of course...

1. "Hey, it's a thingy! A fiendish thingy!"

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    It's about time! I can't wait to see the new transfer. The MPI DVD was great for its time (1997), but a new HD-origin should look fantastic. I'm especially hoping that they were able to fix up the opticals.

7. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    If that's true about the actual movie being re-released, that's great news! [​IMG] I know what I'll be asking for for Christmas. [​IMG]

My Mom took me and a bunch of my friends to see "HELP!" at a theater on my 7th birthday in 1977. They gave each of us a b&w 8x10 glossy of The Beatles AND a choice one color photo of a single band member (the same as the ones that came in the White Album).

On a related note- have there ever been any decent DVD releases of Magical Mystery Tour or Let It Be?

8. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> This looks like one of those "for the Beatles fan who has everything" releases.

I think it's more for those casual, uninformed fans who don't know better, like the people who go to Paul's concerts now but couldn't name any album he's done in the past 20 years.

I'm interested in collecting their work, not every third party photo or film clip.

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

Let It Be has never been released on DVD. A release has said to be in the works for a few years now, but we've seen nothing.

Magical Mystery Tour was released on DVD by MPI in the late 90s. Whether it is a "decent" release is a matter of debate. (Not really.)

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    The old 1997 Magical Mystery Tour DVD from MPI has terrible image quality. It's interlaced, filled with video noise, and desaturated. I know it was shot in 16mm, but it's not really an excuse considering how other 16mm origin features look fantastic in their remasters.

The clips in The Beatles Anthology look entirely different - colorful, sharp, and clean. The sound is at least a really good stereo track (not just the songs, but the entire track has stereo separation) and there's some interesting newsreels from 1967.