Help - Circa 1982 Front Proj. TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy_Z, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Troy_Z

Troy_Z Auditioning

I have a Sony KP-7225 front projection TV that my father bought almost 20 years ago. It still works well...at least in a cave where there is no light (he he).

My problem revolves around the inputs, er, input. It only has a "F" type connector input. No RCA and certainly no S-Video, etc. Well, I was trying to set-up a DVD for viewing on it (recently brought the TV upstairs for frequent veiwing). You can probably see where this is heading.

Since there are NO DVD players that send a signal out on RF (incluing the DVD recorders and combo VCR/DVD units), I am basically screwed. If I try to send the RCA signal through a VCR, the $^&*$#@ copyright protection scheme goes into effect, essentially washing out the brightness (or lack thereof) out.

I am planning to go all out a get a new system in a couple of years, and would like to squeeze the remaining life out of this TV. What can I do?

It would be a crime to have a 72" TV and not be able to watch DVD movies!!!

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hello Troy. Welcome to the forum!

Assuming that the F connector is infact RF (I only question that b/c this is the first time I've ever scene an RF connection on a projector. Or did you actually mean Rear projection tv?) all you would need is an RF modulator. You can get one of these for $20-30 bucks at either Best Buy or Radioshack. It has inputs for your dvd player (red/white, and yellow) and outputs the signal using an F type connector. That should work. Good luck.

Dan Hine

3. Troy_Z

Troy_Z Auditioning

Thanks, I'll look into it.

The only rub is that I was hoping to run everything through the AVR using S-Video connections. Then I would run the S-Video monitor out signal for the TV (I need all the help in picture quality I can get - for reference, I can barely make out the sub-titles on Pearl Harbor as it is). I'm currently doing this by using a S-Video to dual RCA adaptor (Radio Shack) and merging the two RCA's to one, running to a really old VCR and sending the RF out to the TV. In fact, the old VCR is behind the screen , only being used as a means to get the signal to the TV! I lose some brightness when doing this (which I can not afford).

By the way, this is not the typical projector, per se. This unit has a massive floor projection unit, complete with whopping 5.5" guns (he he) and 1/2" thick smoked glass top. It doubles as a coffee table. The Instruction Manual even shows an optional matching BetaMax console!!!!

I will probably get another front projection unit (new style) in the future, as my wife is addicted to the 72" of entertainment!

4. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

You should try to order the matching Betamax console, they would look sweet together.

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Have you guys seen that radio sahck commercial for the rf modulator? It shows a bunch of people rolling around on the ground crying with three RCAs in one hand, their DVD player in the other, and they know their TV has an RF in only. It's too funny!

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

In the early 1980's comb filters were not very sophisticated and few TV sets had them. While your picture may be huge, without a comb filter the resolution is only about the same as VHS tape. There is one older FPTV, an Advent, which I am told has a 2 line comb filter with very little dot crawl associated with that kind of filter.
    You might run the AVIA 200 TVL resolution pattern, if you have that disk. WIth a comb filter you can get up to 330 TVL, without, about 250 TVL.
    Inability to get good convergence would tempt me to go out and buy a new TV quite quickly.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm