help choosing system for 9 year old - X-Box, GameBoy or PS2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by john berry, Nov 25, 2002.

1. john berry

john berry Auditioning

HI, I am looking to buy my daughter a video game system for Christmas and am interested in your opinions as what of the 3 systems would be best for her. She is 9 years old.

From what I have read here, XBox seems the most technically advanced. Does it have many games though for a 9 year old?

I know PS2 has a wide variety of Games - but it seems to have the lowest video quality, etc.

The Gamecube - I don't know - on one hand I know my daughter likes SuperMario games - but is that enough . .

I guess I would like your thoughts / opinions. Personally, I am leaning toward the X-Box - BUT since I am afraid it won't have any games a 9 year old would enjoy, I am pretty leary - and thus thinking maybe one of the others would be better.

Thanks for your help

2. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

While I don't think you can make a wrong decision with any of the systems, I would suggest having a good look at the Gamecube. It has a great selection of fun and bright games that will keep her happy for a long time to come. Animal crossing would be a great game to play with her.

The PS2 has an array of new platformers out that are quite a blast to play.

The Xbox does have a number of games that will be fun for your daughter as well. Another point for the Xbox is if you plan on playing games on this system as well, the Xbox has a rating system that gives you complete control over what games she can play.

It really depends on what type of games your daughter really likes, try asking her what she thinks is the best system, without being obvious on why you’re asking. She might surprise you with how much she already knows about each.

If it were I buying a console for my daughter of 9 I would go for the Cube or Xbox.

Dean

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

Hi John:
    My 7 year old boy has the XBox on his Christmas list. He got hooked playing Halo on his cousin's and best friend's machines. He enjoys "shoot em ups" and sports games, do not know about your daughter. I plan on trading in his Playstation at EB. They are offering $100 credit on the XBox with the trade-in of a Playstation One and 10 games (may be 15 games now however). I will be playing with him alot on the console, so I imagine my leanings towards the XBox may have had a little influence on him also. [​IMG]
    My son is very adept at video games, so I think he will do just fine on the easy setting of most kid appropriate XBox games. As far as there not being enough games out there, I only buy 5-7 games a year so I should not have any problems finding him enough games to play with.

4. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

All systems are good, but be mindful of content. Nintendo has a lot more 'family' oriented games (percentage wise). You can't go wrong with Mario and company (my nephews still play N64 games all the time and have a blast with Mario series games)

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm in the same boat you are, I have a 6 and 3 year old. So I picked up a GameCube. I made the right choice due to the fact that they have a lot of Disney and SuperMario games they will enjoy now, and as they grow I'm sure Nintendo will have more games that will be age appropiate. (they also have sports and racing games for me [​IMG] )

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd say Gamecube based on the current crop of games. However you really can't gp wrong with any of the three. Go to http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/default.asp and look at the games available for each system. Then I would suggest looking at the ESRB rating to ensure that the games are appropriate for the age of your daughter.

7. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I'd say Gamecube or PS2.
    Gamecube has a good base of games for a younger audience, and adult games (for you.) [​IMG]
    I believe TRU is still running the deal where you get the Mario Bundle, Scooby Doo and another controller for $199. It's an in store only deal though.
    PS2 has a very big library with quite a few games for all to enjoy.
    Just my opinion,
    Glen

8. john berry

john berry Auditioning

OK, thanks everyone for your reply's - I appreciate it. Still haven't made up my mind though - LOL.

I guess I have it narrowed down to the Gamecube and Xbox from your comments. I know my daughter has enjoyed the Super Mario games at her cousins - but I took a look and saw what looked like some decent games for her age on both Nintendo and Xbox. So I am still torn.

Just wondered if anyone had an opinion on what the best kid's games were on GameCube and Xbox. Thanks

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'd suggest the GameCube because the controllers are smaller and easier for kids and the console doesn't have a "don't drop on little children" warning on the back (like the X-Box). I'm not trying to pick small reasons not to get an X-Box just to badmouth it, but it looks like the small reasons are the things that are going to make the decision for you.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

12. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

For what its worth, my friend's 9-year-old daughter is practically glued to the Dreamcast I bought her. It was started life as a "backup" in case mine ever dies, but she really likes it. I have a PS2 and a GC as well, but its usually Sonic Shuffle on her DC that gets played the most, followed by Super Monkey Ball on the GC - which its been great watching her build her confidence playing, by the way.

At first, whenever she sees a difficult level she was insisting that I complete it for her, but thanks to a bit of persuasion (called me refusing with various excuses) she has improved in leaps and bounds, and gets a real feeling of satisfaction that she is completing levels that only a month ago wouldn't even be attempted before I found the pad in my hands.

One final thing I would say about the Cube if you do choose one - the Wavebird wireless pad is a really worthwhile investment if you've got kids around. The ability to sit on the sofa rather than squatting with their nose a foot from the screen is vital, and kids are experts at tripping over wires from the other pads.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

14. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

If the S-controller is still too big you have this option. I have a couple of these and they work somewhat well. (way too small for my hands to give an acurate review)
    [​IMG]
    Click here for more info
    These are very small.
    Dean

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit