Help choosing SVS sub with Polk RTi70 fronts and other speaker ?'s

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steven Larson, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

A couple of weeks ago I posted here because I needed some advice on whether or not to buy a pair of Polk RTi70 speakers, which I did, and they are very nice speakers. I also found a CSi40 center, and it should be arriving soon.

So now I would like to get a subwoofer. I have read plenty of posts here talking about SVS subs, and I have read a lot of the reviews. However, (and this seems to be a common question), which SVS to get?

I would prefer to stay under $700, but if need be I could spring for the $775 PCi Plus 25-31. However, do I need to?

My living room is 13 feet wide by 19.5 feet long, with two openings to the kitchen, and a hallway at one end.

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR230 receiver, the RTI70's, the soon to arrive CSi40 center, and for the time being I will use the two surrounds from my Onkyo 5.1 system.

Also, is it necessary to have my surrounds be the same brand/series as my fronts and center?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Hi Steve:

I think you should definitely stay with Polk for the surrounds; timbre matching is important in all channels.

Maybe if you answer a few more questions, we can pin it down to a specific model:

- How far are the key listening positions from the sub.

- Where will the sub be located in relation to the permanent openings you described.

- What type of DVDs and music to you like and what is the listening percentage for each. Do you like organ music with true 16-17 Hz content?

- When calibrating for HT applications, how "hot" do you run your sub, compared to your speaker channels?

- What is your typical master volume setting with respect to Reference Level (like -5RL, -10RL, -15RL) when watching DVDs.

- Which form factor do you prefer more: Box or Cylinder.

- Which finish option do you prefer: Black or Wood.

Regards,

Ed