What's new

Help choosing SVS size (1 Viewer)

Dean_M

Second Unit
I've finally managed to talk "the boss" into letting me get an SVS sub, but things are looking iffy as to getting two of them. I know that it's mostly a subjective choice, but I'm new at this so I could use some help in narrowing down the selection that would work the best for me.
Here's the particulars on what I currently have:
15'x15'x9' room, my fronts are Infinity IL50 powered towers (frequency range 32Hz - 22KHZ) and an Infinity IL36 center (frequency range 55MHz - 22KMHz). The fronts are driven by a Denon 3802.
I'll be driving the SVS with an old Adcom GFA 555, 325W @ 4 Ohms, using a single channel.
I usually have the volume set at moderate levels for both music (mostly classic rock) and movies (mostly "shoot 'em ups").
I'm having a rough time deciding which of the 3 sizes and which model would suit me best the CS or the CS+. Would someone help me out of this dilemma before I hurt myself. ;)
Dean

gomez_a

Stunt Coordinator
well, I have a 16-46 PC in a 12x18x8 room, and it is more than enough - you'll really love whatever SVS you go with, and Tom and Ron have been great to work with - I've gotten excellent support from them!

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
I would say that with only 1 sub, the CS+ has got to be the way to go. More output equals more headroom, which equals cleaner bass at high volumes. Of the 3 sizes, I am partial to the 20hz tuning, a nice middle ground between ultimate extension and ultimate output.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I just got twin 20-39CS+ and they really rock. I would think that the 2039CS+ would be your best choice. I plus series has more output than the regular cs series. If you go to the 16-46 you will get more low end but sacrifice some volume on the top end. Since you have a large room and you are only going to get one, you probably will not want to sacrifice that volume. I put the port blockers in mine to tune them to 17hz. When I play the Phantom Menace at really high levels if feels like there are bugs in my hair. lol I had the regular CS before for about two weeks. It was really good but the CS+ will give you more. This is especially important to you since you are only going to get one. I know about the wife approval factor (WAF). Mine flipped a first with the mention of two but finally gave in. Two are really impressive. They do not have to work as hard and at there is more bass at really low levels. The low level bass at low volume levels is better two.

Eric A

Second Unit
Dean,

I'll throw one more at you. I have the 25-31cs plus and I love it. I went for it for the same reason I think you should, more output from one sub. The 25-31+ will give you more output down to 25hz than any other SVS (except the Ultra) and if you use the tuning port plug you will essentially have a 20-39+. I am powering mine with essentially the same power (Soundstream DA-1 350 into 4ohms) and it is amazing. I watched Atlantis the other night with my father-in-law and children and he could not believe that the one sub was making the hair on the back of his neck stand up like that. My room is much larger than yours (18x22x9 open to the kitchen) and this sub is plenty. I had 2 and sent one back because it was overkill and WAF. Good luck and any SVS will make you satisfied.

Greg Br

Second Unit
That is a nice amp you have to power those things, they should sound good. This is my take, if you can get two then do it, if you are going to get one then I would pay the extra cash and get the Ultra, especialy with the power you could send to it(I believe that amp can be brideged). If you do not see yourself upgrading subs then might as well set yourself up for a while.

I have a dual setup, 20-39cs_new driver, and it sounds great with one but sounds tremendous with two. You will be hard pressed to reach reference levels with one sub but will have a better chance with two, if you are interested in those levels of bass.

SVS Rules!!!

Dean_M

Second Unit
Eric - when you say that you get more output from the 25-31, do you mean volume? I very rarely set the volume anywhere near reference level, so a decrease in volume isn't really a factor for me is it?

I'm leaning heavily toward the 20-39CS+ because I'm probably only going to be able to get one subwoofer. The Ultra would be nice, but it's out of my budget at the moment.

Thanks for the input folks.

Dean

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Dean -

What he means is that when the 16 or the 20 run out of gas, the 25 will have a bit of headroom left.

I am like you - classic rock and boom flicks. I have the plain 20-39, older style driver, and I have NEVER run out of sub. In a 28 x 11 x 8 room, btw.

- C

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
One potential down side of the 25hz tune (besides missing out on some of the really deep bass), is the potential for the driver to unload and "flutter in the wind" if it encounters a high level signal below its tuning frequency, and you are not using a subsonic filter. It is the most likely with the 20hz tune, less likely with the 20hz tune, and even less likely with the 16hz tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks