What's new

Help choosing projector (1 Viewer)

ScottF

Auditioning
I've just started to do a little research on what projector I would like to buy, but the information is so overwhelming. I guess I wouldn't mind spending up to $8000 for a good projector. I have been looking at Runco and Marantz that are in my area. The problem is that I have been looking on the internet also and there are soooo many choices. Optoma, Panasonic, BenQ, etc.

I am building our new home and will have a dedicated theater. I already own a Runco 5800 DTV and love it. But I am ready to upgrade to the whole theater atmosphere. Just looking for the best in this price range. Thanks for your time.

Scott

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
have you considered CRT? Always an option that I think a lot of people overlook and/or don't realize the market that is out there.

ScottF

Auditioning
Is it possible to get into a CRT for that price range? What are the benefits? The only CRT I have seen is a Runco and I think it was something like 80K. Of course the picture was the best I've seen, but it should be for that price.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Used. You have a PM.

ps you could probably pick up that runco for 8k. 8k buys you a LOT of projector.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
with many compaines pulling crt projectors out of their boardrooms and training rooms to replace them with more portable digital units, there is a large number of high end low hour used crt's on the market. i picked up an Electrohome Marquee 8500 pj that originally sold for $23K for $3500. it is in excellent shape, has low hours, and was gone thru by an experienced crt technician before i bought it. if you are willing to go used, you can get great value. i'd recommend checking out the excellent crt forum at www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ AVS forum.
i bought mine from Curt Palme in Vancouver, BC, you can find other reseller recommedations at AVS.

edit: took me longer to type my post than it took Chris.:) like Chris said, $8k will buy you a lot of projector in the used CRT market.

ScottF

Auditioning
How hard are these to set up? Will I have to have it set up by a technician? Are they set up to install on the floor or the ceiling or both? Either way would be fine since I will be building new. Do you have to have a line doubler or quadrouplar? Sorry about all the questions. I just need to know a few things before I get started.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
They are not what you would call "user friendly."

They require an intensive (but not overly difficult) setup, that is described fairly thoroughly in the Guy Kuo thread which I pmed you a link to. Once setup, though, they are very stable, and only periodically require convergence touchup, which is quite easy. Also, setup can be done to differing intensities, and the ultimate quality of the image can vary depending on this. The more effort you put into setup, the better the picture, but you can very easily and quickly get a *usable* picture, but it probably will not be a thorough mechanical setup, and thus not yielding full capability of the projector.

Also, these things are large and very heavy. 100-200 pounds, depending on model. Some are as havey as 250, some are relatively small and lightweight, but nowehere as small and light as a digital. You can do front or rear projection, from floor or ceiling. Obviously, ceiling is preferred, as you don't want to give up the best seat in the house to the projector. Video processing is definitely preferred with CRTs, as it is with other projectors, though perhaps moreso. An HTPC can do a fine job if you're up to it. again, the crt forums is the place to read and ask these kinds of questions, you'll very quickly get past my knowledge zone... I just wanted to open you to this option, a lot of people don't know that it's out there...

ps. yeah i did type my response quickly, but my PM took much longer: copy/paste :D. Did take me a long time yesterday though.

FYI, I also got a BG808 from curt for 2K, with slight wear. 3.5k for minty fresh, and is very comparable to the 8500.

david stark

Second Unit
I'm also looking to buy a projector in this price range soon (before feb/mar). Probably looking for a dlp due to space and moving constraints.

Not looked at them yet, but I have heard (from friends) and read good things about sim2 projectors. The domino series ($9000 and $14000 canadian) is around that range and are looking good. I'm really waiting for the HD2+ chip projectors to become more widely available which will either mean a better projector or at least the current batch of projectors dropping in price a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks