What's new

Help choosing out of 3 receivers (1 Viewer)

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all. I am new to this forum and have been out of the A/V scene for a number of years. I have, however, been browsing this forum over the last week and I think it is the best source of information on the net for A/V.

I am trying to decide between these receivers:

1)Marantz SR8200

2)Sony DA5ES

3)Yamaha RX-V3200

My use is: HT 80% and music 20%. My current system consists of Bipolar speakers (Def Tech BP8s, CLR 2002, and BP2s). My current receiver is an older Yamaha. I have a 5.1 system but would like to add back surrounds in the near future. I am undecided on 1 or 2 back speakers, but am aware that the receivers I am looking at all have 6 amps. I will however consider a 7 channel reciever if I can stay around $1000 in price without sacrifycing quality of sound or many features, otherwise I would use one of the above as a pre/pro in a few years. Plus, I really like the idea of the rs-232c port on each of the above.

Of the three above, I have only compared the Sony (HT only). I put it up against one of my previous runners; Onkyo/Integra (Model: Integra 7.2). The Integra's dialog sounded muffled and explosions during the movie U-571 became distorted at high volumes where as the Sony 5ES was crystal clear and seemed to convey more detail in all channels. (I'm sorry I don't know the technical jargon for what I am trying to explain, but I do have an excellent ear for sound and I am learning the A/V speak.) Possibly Onkyo's higher model tx-ds898 would be a better comparison.

I cannot find all three brands in a store near me so I would appreciate any opinions and comparisons on features and sound that are offered. Thank you.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome Don.I can only comment on the Marantz and the Yammy as I have not heard the Sony.I have similar speakers,BP-10,CLR 2500,4-BP2X.The Marantz sounded better to my ears,it seemed to have that warmer sound that people mention with Marantz products.The Yammy sounded good,but not as good.I find Def-Techs to be a hair to the bright side,so the Marantz should be a better fit.The only way to tell for sure is to do a critical listening session with a fav.CD & DVD and decide what your ears like the best.Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have heard the 8200 and the DA3ES (not side by side), not the 5ES (though they are nearly identical) and I would not hesitate to choose the 8200. The Sony does a good job at everything, but the Marantz just sounds better for music to me (could be why I own two Marantz receivers now). I have not heard that particular Yamaha.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Don-

Welcome to the forum! Seems like you have some work ahead of you in choosing the RIGHT receiver.

I can only speak for the Sony 5ES as I own one.

The Pros:

Excellent HT sound!

Excellent Bass management.

Great warranty (5 years).

Nice looking (IMO)

Lots of Assignable inputs/outputs.

Dual Multichannel Inputs 5.1 & 7.1

Can be used as a Pre/Pro in the future.

Has all the Formats except no THX certs.

Upgradable software.

All these for just Under $800.00 shipped.

The Cons:

Takes a bit of time learning all the functions.

The video switching is not Upconverted. (Coax for Coax/Component for Component/S-Video for S-video).

Not so easy to Calibrate Volume Levels of each speaker(I have not figured it out yet).

The remote can be a PAIN.

Good Luck

Angelo

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
Don, I live VERY close by (I-275 and ann arbor rd area)and have the RX-V3000 (yamaha)
if you would like to see what the 3200 is like (difference is that your model LACKS front effects, and mine lasks PL2 and discrete DTS)
e-mail me [email protected]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, since Angelo mentioned specific features, the 8200 has most of those, but the most notable ones it does not have are the flexible bass management and dual multi channel analog inputs. It does have full pre-amp outs, so it can also be used as a pre/pro. Looks better than the Sony or Yamaha, IMO (simple, symetrical, all aluminum including the knobs) The 8200 also comes with a very nice remote, ala Pronto, if you like LCD type remotes (I prefer to have more buttons for basic functions)

Mikey B

Stunt Coordinator
Two words: Circle Surround! Marantz has it, the others don't. Circle Surround 5.1 is similar to Pro Logic II, but I think it does a better job with music. It's more natural...primary vocals stay up front with very nice surround/ambient music in the rear. PL II is definitely nicer than the original PL, but the addition of Circle Surround makes for another VERY nice option. Works well for TV and movies too. Find a dealer and listen to it!

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I have the Marantz SR-8200, but have it coupled with B&W 600 series 2 speakers. I would definitely suggest at-home demos in YOUR room. With all the inherent room problems we all have, we still may have a better listening environment than the dealer's showroom (especially when some of the dealers are setup in some old converted retail space with glass walls!) What you hear at home may sound better or worse than the dealer's setup, even with the same speakers.

I love the 8200 and could recommend it, but only you know what you really like.

Pete

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the information so far everyone. I'll definately try to compare the three, although I don't plan to bring each into my home. Soon I'll be moving from my apartment into a house and the room acoustics would be entirely different again anyway. I guess I'll just attempt to wing a comparison one day.

So far the consensus seems to be that the Sony has the most functionality, while the Marantz 8200 may create a better sound. I didn't get much input on the Yamaha 3200, but I'd like to think Bill for the offer to contact him for a look at his Yamaha. I may do that in the near future.

I guess I'll just do more research on price against features and sonic characteristics and go from there. As a side question which brand is most likely to use the rs232 port for software upgrades?

chrisden

Agent
Don,

I have had the 8200 for about two months. Wouldn't trade it for anything at the same price point and it has an RS-232 port. So does the remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks