What's new

Help choosing my entry level receiver (1 Viewer)

Autoeng

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
I'd like some opinions about my options for an entry level A/V receiver. I'll be pairing this with a Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system and a mis-match of various other equipment. I'm not an audiophile and am not expecting this to be a home theater masterpiece but just want it to sound its best.

I have a regular TV with S-cable input, DVD with optical and coax audio and S-cable and component video outs, VCR with RCA outs, Dish Network DVR with optical audio and S-cable video outs and Sirius Sat with RCA outs.

I don't listen to the TV loud but I want it to be clear and robust. I like for video to be through the receiver so I don't have to change channels or use a stand alone switch. I like to be able to adjust the sound qualities to what I like, not what someone else thinks they should be. I like an A/B switch so I can run some speakers out on the deck. It needs to be easy to switch between sources as other family members will be using it as well. I doubt I will ever add speakers 6 & 7.

I've narrowed it down to (in no particular order).

Pioneer VSX816
Onkyo TXSR504 - leaning towards this one
Sony STRDG600
Harmon Kardon AVR140
Yamaha HTR5850

I'm trying to stay under $250.

Any help / suggestions / alternatives / things to think about would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Of those that you have listed, I would go with the Pioneer 816. I like the room/speaker EQ. If you could go $399, I would pick the Pioneer 1016, however, I have recommended the 816 a number of times.

Happy Holidays

Autoeng

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
The pics on Pioneer's website are too small to tell and the manual only shows RCA connection to the monitor. Does this receiver offer S-cable out to the monitor?

Autoeng

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
Anybody else care to offer an opinion or experience with any of the receivers listed?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I usually recommend Onkyo in this price range. They produce a strong, clean sound and are very easy to setup and use. The H/K might sound the best but I don't know if it represents the best overall value. Don't have much experience with Yamaha, but from what I've read around here you wouldn't be disappointed. I've never been a big fan of Pioneer's consumer level stuff, admittedly for no apparent reason. I do have a 1014 setting in my closet. It just didn't meet my way too high expectations. But on paper, that 816 looks hard to beat. Also look at the Marantz 4600. $279 @ AC4L.com

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
check out the sony strdg800, u can get one for around 300 new, used even cheaper and it has HDMI connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks