Help choosing DVD changer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KennyD, Jan 7, 2005.

1. KennyD

KennyD Extra

I have a Pioneer VSX 1014TX Receiver in the mail on the way here, and now I am trying to choose a DVD changer to go with it.

I don't care about SACD, and my receiver decodes Dolby Digital and DTS, so that doesn't matter either.

I am big into music, and I will probably use the DVD changer for 60% music, 40% DVD's.

Things important to me:
    5-7 disc changer
    optical and coax digital outputs
    s-video and composite video outputs
    zoom
    dvd-r and mp3 playback capabilities
    progressive scan
    good cd playing features, since I will play a lot of cds, (mostly mp3's) with it.

I am looking to spend about $100 after shipping, but possibly up to $150.

Does anyone have a DVD changer that sounds like it would be good, or any recommendation?

I am all for a last year's model, or something like that in order to get good features and save money.

2. Max F

Max F Second Unit

3. KennyD

KennyD Extra

I remember looking at that one, and I think there was something that it didn't have that I wanted. I think it may have been that it didn't have optical digital output, and that it only had the coax digi output. I prefer to have both digital outputs so that any other source can take whatever it needs, and I can still hook up the DVD changer.

One that I came across that seems to have everything is the Sony DVP-NC875V. Does anyone have any experience with this one, or know of any pros/cons with it.

I haven't yet decided upon it, I am still just looking at everything I come across.

4. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

I wasn't crazy about it because it was so painfully slow switching discs and also starting discs. The picture quality was okay, as was the sound quality. I took it back and spent twice as much and got the Yamaha DV-C6770 (same as DVD-C750). Its a five disc changer that plays DVD-Audio and SACD, but since you don't care about that I don't know that you'd be interested.

5. KennyD

KennyD Extra

Here's a different one, the Toshiba SD-6915. It is cheap, and it looks like it has all that I want. Does anyone have any pros/cons with this one, or know anything about it?

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have 2 cd changers and 2 DVD changers. The DVD changers are great for movies but to slow for cds like was said earlier.
    You can pick up 865 & 875s pretty cheap nowdays.
    Then if you like it pick up a cd changer later.
    I find they are great for getting rid of stacks of discs without boxes and keeps them pristine.