Help choosing binding posts and port kits for DIY sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hine, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I recently purchased this subwoofer cabinet and it has been recommended to me tune it to 20hz for use with a Shiva driver. What port kit would be good for a newbie to use? I have access to tools, but would like to do it the easiest way possible as this is my first speaker building project.
    Same goes for binding posts. I have never soldered so I would prefer some other way to connect the wires on the inside. Any suggestions? I don't want to go cheap on these parts but also don't have a ton of money, so think middle of the road.
    Any help you guys and give me in these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Dan Hine

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

I used some nice binding posts on my recent project. Madisound has them for a good price. They are part numbers
    BG-POSTRL
    BG-POSTBL
    http://www.madisound.com/
    go to catalog, then under accessories, bennicups.html.
    the first is red, hence the RL at the end. These accept spades or wire, or both at the same time (and of course bananas). Very heavy duty, and you could crimp lugs on the internal wiring and bolt the wires to the posts instead of soldering.
    Vince

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Just received my kit today and wouldn't you know it one of the panels has a cracked corner. I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not but I'm kinda heartbroken over it. Time to battle UPS I guess. Though I'm trying to look at the bright side and say that this gives me more time to save up for the rest of the parts I need (driver, posts, etc...). [​IMG]
    Wish me luck,
    Dan