What's new

help choosing between these speakers... (1 Viewer)

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
hey everyone,

i was looking at speakers and have narrowed it down to three. i would really like some help on what you guys think is best. heres what i came up with:

Athena Floor Speakers (AS-F2.2)
Precision Acoustics 3-Way Floor Speakers (6XT3)
Sony SSM-F650H 3-Way Floor Standing Speakers

thanks for any help

mylan

Screenwriter
I don't have any experience with any of them but I would at least stay away from the Sony. Sony makes great video products but you can do better with an audio company for your speakers. Why have you narrowed it down to these three and why are you going with floorstanding speakers? Unless you are mainly going to be listening to two channel stereo bookshelf speakers with a good sub is the way to go for HT.

mylan

Screenwriter
OK then, HT it is. This is not a hard and fast rule but using floorstanders is kind of a waste, I.M.O. unless you are not going to be using a sub because you will cross over the mains, center, and surrounds to a certain frequency, say 80hz., and the sub will then provide the low end. You will not be using the floorstanders to their maximum ability, so why buy them? I've seen some theaters that use large speakers all the way around and this is the exception to that rule but you can get great results and save money by using a better bookshelf speaker and spending the savings on a good sub. What is your budget?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I like the sound of Athena's speakers. They are an excellent value, and essentially the same thing as Energy's bottom line at the moment(same manufacturer).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Floorstanding speakers, even very large ones which have good extension with a sub is absolutely not a waste. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration with a given budget, but in the real world, that is simply incorrect. I also agree with just taking the Sonys off the list.

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
i only had the sony's on because after searching the net alot of people were blown away with them.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
what is your budget? The prices on the JBL L series is starting to drop and I believe that they are a great value for the money. This is not the BB,CC garden variety either. I have the 880s and they sound great. If you want to look into them, PM me and I can help you find some great prices. And no, I don't know anything about the others.

Thanks,

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Jup

There is really nothing wrong with Sony speakers...they make some very good models ranging from small bookshelf to moderately expensive towers...the ones you are considering should meet your needs pretty well...please keep in touch with me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Jup

Just get those Sony speakers...they are a good choice for you. Please keep in touch with me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Gene

With all due respect

I heard you the first time...the Sony speakers are exactly what the OP wants...if the heat is too high, please feel free to migrate to another Forum that you consider "a nice little forum". I know as much as I need to about Sony speakers, HK receivers, minimalist and purist philosophies...all in good fun of course.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It's not the heat Arthur, it's the additude....and the lack of respect you have for the opinion of some other forum members. Good luck with your upcomming wedding. Other than that....All in good fun, of course.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Gene c

I appreciate the congratulations on my upcoming wedding...other than that...I have no respect for minimalists and purists who recommend unreliable, buggy HK receivers with software and firmware problems...how would you like it if someone recommended a problematic product to you?...with all due respect there is another Forum for minimalists and purists to recommend lousy HK receivers...if you dislike my attitude please take a long vacation from this Forum as you mentioned previously...all in good fun of course.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm sorry you feel that way Arthur. It's perfectly acceptable to disagree, but I happen to think all members and their opinions should be treated with dignity and respect. I can't figure out why the moderators haven't put a stop to this nonsense. Including the regretful parts that I've played in it. Having said that, it's my opinion that the Athena's are much better speakers than the Sony's. They are also quite a bit more expensive, but it's up to Jup to decide if they are worth the extra cost, not us.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Gene c

Perhaps you and John Brill can pull a "Godwin" on this thread too, so that you don't have to explain why you can't handle an honest difference of opinion...I will continue to try to prevent minimalists and purists from leading innocent newbies into buying unreliable HK receivers... all in good fun of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks