What's new

Help choosing amp for my SVS (1 Viewer)

DwightK

Second Unit
Been playing around with what I have available and have found I like the amp I ripped out of my Velo CT100 better than an old receiver (100W) and a PA amp (175W). Any opinions on what I should get? Choices are:
MCM's 370W plate amp @ $180ish
Partsexpress 250W plate amp @ $130ish
Adire audio plate amp from AcousticVisions????
Parasound 1201 monoblock or something similar from audiogon
Recommendations?
Any other or better suggestions?
I don't think my Yamaha RXV1200 supplies adequate input voltage to a pro audio amp for that to be a viable option as that was the problem with the one I tried. It was a Radioshack/Pyle Pro model if that matters.
The Sub sounds awesome with the velo amp but that has to go back in it's real home if I am to sell the old sub;)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Some dude was selling a nice Parasound in the hardware section, $189.

Any of the amps you mention will work fine. I have the NHT SA-2, 165 watts, haven't run out of gas yet.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The PE plate amp and the Adire plate amp are the same I believe. PE used to ship the amp with a the bass boost enabled where as Adire disabled it. So many people wanted the PE amp with boost disabled that PE started shipping them that way. That would be my recommendation for the best price/sound with all the features like x-over, phase, auto on, etc...

From what I hear, those NHT amps are great too but way too expensive if you ask me.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Yup, too spendy for what they may be new, but I spent $250 on Ebay, mint shape. Looks count for me somewhat. I wish it had a clip indicator....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks