help choosing a projector!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobRoulier, Jul 15, 2002.

1. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I have a dilemma I currently have a mits 65" platinum plus rptv which I love picture is awesome! but I want a bigger pic so tweeter said they would give me full price i paid a couple of months ago and give me a break on a projector. I believe they can get the yamaha, sharp and another I cant remember sorry! any ways I am new to projectors so will I maintain pic quality by using a projector or do I have to spend 10k I would rather keep it under 5k Im looking to go with a 100" diagonal sreen maybe stewart firehawk. I am not really in a rush but I tend to be impatient so once I start demoing these projectors Ill probably want to speed things up. Direction, advice help........ please! thanks Btw I posted this over at avs too!

Bob

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Check out the Sharp NoteVision PG-M20X. It's probably the best of the low cost options from the manufacturers that you mentioned. Here are the specs:

XGA Native DLP using TI's new 12 degree DMD chips
    3x colorwheel with reasonably small 80 degree clear section
    1900 ANSI lumens on full
    1000:1 on/off contrast ratio with 800:1 ANSI contrast
    5.8 lbs
    DVI input

Street price is $2650 to about $3000.

There are also great choices in the $6000-10k range.

3. Michel L

Michel L Auditioning

If you can control the ambient light and have a large enough room, I would suggest a used sony 1272 CRT unit off eBay or I can recommend a dealer. They are tough as nails and work great for a 120" or larger screen.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The Boxlight 13HD is an awesome projector (clone of the Sanyo 60HT). It should drop in price very soon (month or two), since the brighter, much better contrast, quieter, MLA equipped (much less screen door), 70HT is coming out.

6. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Thanks for the responses, I am really getting exited about this my guy at tweeter said he can pretty much order any projector I want. I want to take my time here and enjoy the process and demo as many as possible. How about plus piano? or the new one from Dwin? Anyone in my area want to have me over for dinner and view their projector[​IMG] Well maybe not dinner but how about the projector[​IMG]
    Thanks bob

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Any projector you want? Sweet! You have a much wider range of choices now. You should definitely take a look around and see what you like and what is important to you.

I personally wouldn't recommend the piano unless you're extremely budget limited, plan to use a very small screen, and will be using a room with complete light control.

The Dwin is delayed once again, so no one really knows how it will look yet. Hopes are high though.