Help choosing a projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Gassner, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Tom Gassner

Tom Gassner Auditioning

I could use some input on choosing a projector for my

home theater I am building in my new home. If you guys can help me I would like to know if anyone has any info about a new Sony projector that is coming out. I was also looking at the Sharp and Yamaha DLP projectors and would like some input.

2. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

I too would like to know some info ...... one question ...... what quality would i expect from a DLP projector from "HERO" for 3000?

3. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

I too am looking at projectors. I am building my HT at this time. Just finished roughing in the area.

I looked at Sharp this past weekend and it looked very good to me. I need to look at the others yet, and hope that the dealers I visit have them calibrated properly.

Good luck, Kurt

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Mark- I've never heard of the "HERO"; is that the brand name or the model name? I checked over at www.projectorcentral.com, and they didn't have any listing for specs either.
    Tom & Kurt: What size screen are you considering, and will the room be light-controlled (able to get completely dark)? The Sharp 9000 is an excellent unit from the demos I've seen, but I haven't seen a Yamaha in action. You might want to look at the Plus Piano as well if you are interested in DLP, especially if your primary use will be DVDs.

5. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The new Sharp is getting consistently excellent reviews. If I were buying right now that's the one I'd get. I would also suggest that you consider Stewart's GrayHawk screen given that you're considering fixed panel types.

7. Mark JM

Mark JM Agent

Allow me to jump into this also, this is the reason I found this great site (Which is keeping me up till 2am all week reading and doing research!!). Also doing a HT in my basement, light controlled et all...looking at a Sharp

XV-Z 27000 LCD FP unit...getting a good deal and it fits in my budget...anything as good/better to look at in that price range?? Anyone out there currently using the unit for some input?? I also will be using an 84-92" screen. One more thing, have been told if i get and electric screen Its very prone to creasing...any thoughts?? Thanks for any input!

8. Eric Arens

Eric Arens Auditioning

Have you checked out the PLUS PIANO DLP? This could very well be the best value in projectors, ever. I have one if you want to know more.

9. Matt Stryker

Mark - pretty much any roll down screen is prone to creasing/rippling (check my webpage if you don't beleive me!); there are two basic options. A fixed mount screen, which basically stretches the fabric over a rigid (usually aluminum) frame, and a tab-tensioned roll down screen. The tab tensioned screens use wires that tighten the screen at various points to keep the surface flat.

A tab-tensioned electric screen is going to cost a pretty penny, but will be a great screen for years to come.

10. Mark JM

Mark JM Agent

Matt

Thanks for the info, checked out your site, do you notice the creases while watching a movie?? also, how does standard TV look from a FP?

11. Matt Stryker

12. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

actually i think its a projector called the hero by plus or somethin like that i saw it in hometheater magazine advertised maybe it was the piano plus .... yes id like some info on this projector ...... and looking for a screen size of about 75 - 90 inches 16x9 ....? i know nothing of the projector market and how good of an experience is it ...... it would be throwing a distance of say .... between 15 to twenty feet away from screen .....

13. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

The new InFocus ScreenPlay 110 DLP is getting a lot of positive reaction. At an MSRP of less than $5,000, along with it's apparent superior picture (I haven't seen it), it's going to make a big impact.
    Here's a link to a review.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/
    The comments I've heard from those who have seen it confirm the positive reaction of the reviewer.
    Deane

14. JamesTR

JamesTR Auditioning

I've been using a Sharp 9000 for some months and just love it to death. I've seen several other kinds and, subjectively, they don't seem to be as good on the black levels.

On screens: I use the cheapest screen available, a well finished and painted wall. No creases, no wrinkles. My projector is about 19 feet from the screen and throws an 11 foot wide, 6 foot high picture (native 16x9 ratio). An article on the 9000 notes that the black levels are so good the grayscale screen would be of no benefit.

I notice that the Japanese source in HTF is selling 9000's for under 5 large.

15. Nestor_Ramos

Nestor_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

anybody have any idea whether the Japanese company with the link at the top of the page is legit? I went to their site and, while not totally pathetic, it was something less than reassuring. But, correct me if I'm wrong: I think $5000 is an unbelievable price for the Sharp 9000, which, as far as I'm concerned, is the best projector on the market right now, all things considered. If you don't mind me asking: what did those who have the Sharp pay for it? Are there good discounts to be had without having it shipped from Japan?

16. Tom Gassner

Tom Gassner Auditioning

Thanks for all the input. Screen size? That is still in the air I want the max size for my 12x17 room. I will purchase a prehung unit that is mounted. Can someone please tell me a link to the Japanese source for the 9000. Thanks again for the info.

17. Ron AZ

Ron AZ Agent

Tom... I was able to create a dedicated home theater when I moved into a new home just over a year ago. I purchased a RUNCO-VX101C DLP projector ($10,000) and a Stewart StudioTek 130 96" screen. I did not purchase the Runco-VX101C that had the HD chip ($1,000 additional) because of the limited amount of HD programing. I have continued to look at projectors thoughout the year. I looked at the RUNCO-VX1000C with PFP Controller, the SHARP-XV-Z-9000U ($11,000) DLP, MARANTZ DLP and the SELECO-HT300. All these projectors have the new 16-9 DMD chip. I had narrowed my selection to the Runco-VX100C and the Sharp XV-Z900U... Today, I bought the RUNCO-VX1000C ($17,000). In a side by side comparison, first with a HD satellite feed, HD local antenna feed, and a DVD feed, I found the Runco, in every comparison to be brighter and seemed to have a depth of field. we also used the Runco PFP Controller with the Sharp during the DVD test. As you can probably already tell, I am not a 'techno-weenie', but just someone who observes and shares what he sees. I you can, please take the time to view these four DLP's and I wish you luck in your selection, but most important the enjoyment of your system no matter what you finally decide upon. Ron from AZ

18. Ron AZ

Ron AZ Agent

OOPs...how do I make the font small? hope this size is better..sorry

19. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

My advice is to look into the very popular NEC LT-150 (or 150z). This is a very very popular little powerhouse projector for a very low price. If you have less than $3000 to spend- this projector is the king, IMHO.
    If you have some serious space in your room, and like to tweak- you might consider looking into older CRT projectors on the used market. I had a Sony as my first projector- and the image quality was unmatched by anything I've owned since. Unfortunately it took up half my floor space!
    Check the digital projector forum over at AVS (www.avsforum.com) and do a search on LT150 or LT-150 and I think you'll see that this unit is very very well regarded.
    -Vince