Help choosing a DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sami Kallio, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

With all these features out there, I'm worried about paying extra for ones I won't need or can't use. My #1 concern is picture quality, that is the reason I am looking to replace my Sony magazine (DVP-CX850D).

I know I can't use DVI or progressive scan because of my projector. I know I want a great PQ DVD without chroma bug. Region free player is also a must with NTSC and PAL, I have a large collection of Finnish movies that I want to watch. Won't be used much for music as for that I do want a magazine.

Any recommendations? I think Denon 5900 is out of my budget at the moment, I'd rather spend less than $500 on a DVD player. Refurbs are ok.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

For the best player for interlaced use, go with a Panasonic RP91.

3. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Looks good and could be had refurbed for less than $300. At a closer look doesn't fit into the requirements though. Hard to hack to region free and does not do PAL->NTSC (?). I could always make copies of my Finnish movies (and almost all are 1-6 region discs anyway) but if it can't play them, that's a problem. I know my Sony refuses to play most of the Finnish movies, even without region code, I have to use another player for that.

Edit: I don't think PAL -> NTSC conversion will be a problem, my projector can display PAL signal.

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Sami, I may know where you can get a Yamaha DVD C920 for under $300. It has DCDi and does DVD-A, 5 disk carousel, very well built (heavy), Burr-Brown dacs. Store demo though but with full warranty.

5. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Thanks Charles but the same issue as with the Panny, no region hacks available afaik. I went ahead and ordered refurbed Denon 1600 for $220, I'll add a cheap region free player to play my foreign movies, possibly Cyberhome CH-DVD500 from Fry's for $65. Won't give me a quality picture but it's better than having nothing.