What's new

Help Choosing 4 Games (1 Viewer)

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I'm getting 4 games this week, and I need a hand making a decision with some...
Here are some titles I was looking at, let me know what you think of my choices.
Xbox
Timesplitters 2
PGA Tour 2003
Fatal Frame
Shenmue 2
Tony Hawk 4
Gamecube
Godzilla - Destroy all Monsters Melee
I'm fairly certain I'm getting TS2 and PGA Tour 2003, but the last two choices are what's killing me.
Fatal Frame has me very interested in it, although I don't know much about it other than some pretty damn good word of mouth.
I've never played Shenmue, so I don't know if I should invest in 2.
I don't know if Tony Hawk is enough of an upgrade to warrant a purchase, and my interest in extreme sports games has diminished over the past few months.
Godzilla looks good, and I have a bunch of good 4 player games for my Gamecube, but I don't know how good the game actually is.
What are some opinions on these choices? Are there any games out there that I should get other than what I've listed?
I already have the following titles for each system:
Xbox
Halo
DOA3
NFL2K3
NBA2K3
World Series Baseball
Robotech
Sega GT 2003
2002 Fifa World Cup
Xbox Live Beta
Gamecube
Super Mario Sunshine
Starfox Adventures
Super Monkey Ball 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness
Animal Crossing

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Time Splitters 2 and Tony Hawk 4 are no questions asked! But if you have the PS2 get that version of TH4 because it is online, without tunneling software.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I'd take that $200 and go buy a used PS2 with a few games if I were you, buy some of the older games you missed out on, or save up for the better games coming out in a few more weeks. None of those games really scream "must have" to me. Some people like Timesplitters and Tony Hawk, but they aren't really my cup of tea. I would recommend Silent Hill 2 above Fatal Frame. Godzilla isn't all that hot.

Looking at your library, you're missing a lot of the best Xbox games, and some of them are cheap right now.

Rallisport Challenge
Jet Set Radio Future
Project Gotham Racing
Morrowind
Death Row
Hitman 2

Your cube library mirrors mine except I have Rogue Leader and Pikmin and I haven't gotten Starfox yet.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I really have no use (or need for that matter) for a PS2, as the only game I want(ed) was GTA3 and GTA:VC and I have GTA3 for PC and I'm waiting on GTA:VC on PC as well.

I've seen a few articles about Deathrow, so I may have to look up some more info about it. I might take that over Godzilla if I can...

Damien

Supporting Actor
i would go with fatal frame, tiger woods 2003, tony hawk 4, and timesplitters 2.
GC has SO many 4-p brawlers out, mario and bomberman being the most recent, that they seem like more solid choices to get when they lower those prices, instead of shelling it out on godzillia
fatal frame, to warn you, has gotten mixed reviews on PS2...it either gets to you or it doesn't. it is supposed to feature many improvements from the PS2 to heighten the expirience....so the outlook seems positive.
then tiger woods, got an 8.5 ign and is solid, i'll be getting this soon as well
then timesplitters 2, get that without hesitation.
tony hawk 4, i was really considering skipping this, since like you, i've been playing these kinds of games since the first tony hawk hit way back....but it is supposidly a very good title.....but again i have aggresive inline already, and it sure rips a hefty amount of stuff from it(which AI did to TH - well wait now activision owns the AI franchise, but still).

i didn't recommended shemune 2, since it seems it is a direct DC port WITHOUT surround sound last time I heard, and it has around a 60/40 love/hate ratio(OXM gave it like a 7)

This is how I see it, others may disagree, but that's what this forum is for

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Well, the four I went with were:
Xbox
Timesplitters 2 - All the glowing reviews and the ton of multiplayer options helped me pick this one.
Fatal Frame - I wasn't sure whether or not to get Shenmue 2 or this, but I went with Fatal Frame. I never played the first Shenmue, and most of the people I've talked to seemed to really like Fatal Frame, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
PGA Tour 2003 - This was a no-brainer, since my father loves golf, and the good reviews on IGN helped this decision.
The last choice was the hardest, as I was torn between a few different games. Namely, Deathrow on Xbox and Godzilla on Gamecube.
I ended up going for Godzilla, as I perused (sp) the forums, I found some threads on it, and people really seemed to like it, and my friends and I all love Godzilla, so I decided a 4 player Godzilla game would be the way to go.
I do plan on getting Deathrow soon though, as I can't pass up a game that's been getting decent reviews from a lot of people. I'll end up getting Tony Hawk 4 at some point also, just have to get back into the extreme sports category of games again I think.
Thanks for the input everyone!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Chris,
I think those are some good choices, you should have your free time wrapped up nicely for a few weeks ;) Don't worry about Shenmue II, if it is like the first one there isn't much replayability for most folks once you finish the story, so a flood of used copies will be floating around by next Jan.
One more to keep an eye out for is Jet Set Radio Future, if you never played it. Maybe the most fun I have had on Xbox yet (although 4 person Hunter might edge it out.)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've been playing a rental of Tony Hawk 4. I would wait on a purchase, especially if you have TH3. It's still great fun, but there isn't anything remarkably new about it. I like the new structure of the career challenges and it's a good looking game (though I wish they had designed the female create a skater to be more attractive) but if there is a game that is more intriguing to you (e.g. Shenmue II) I'd go for it before TH4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks