What's new

Help choosing 3k HDTV (1 Viewer)

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy,
I am going to be getting a 3k budget to pick out an HDTV sometime soon and I was wondering what you guys suggest. I have a 60" mitsubishi TV right now and am pretty happy with it. I am getting the 3k via a promotion at work.
I am not sure what I plan to do with the TV, I don't expect that I will be able to get a large enough HDTV to replace my 60" 4:3 set. That leaves me with a bit of a decision, I did think about trying to use the TV as a huge monitor for my computer...but that seems like a waste.
I have been out of the loop on HDTV's...I was planning on saving for a front screen projector some time in the future so I have not been tracking things. Does anyone have any suggestions? What kind of HDTV do you think 3k could buy, would upping he ante to 4K make a huge difference?
Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Will

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
If you go for 65-inch widescreen, the 4x3 viewing size is around 53-inches...smaller than your current 60-inch set, but not that much smaller.
Based on the price I paid back in December, $3K won't cover a 65-inch widescreen set. $4K would come close, especially if you went for something cheaper than the Mitsubishi Diamond series.
Prices change...so this may no longer be the case.
- Steve

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I have been in the market for exactly that price range. I have been looking at: Toshiba 56H80 and 40H80. The 56" i have seen around 3k on the net, the 40" is quite a bit cheaper (and lighter) around 2k. The other is A pioneer sd532hd5 (53") which SamClub.Com has for 2500k, which i must say is THE best deal i have found in over two months of looking. I just ordered it tonight, after shipping and taxes is just under 3k. I checked all of my local stores and they dont carry that one, only online...but check your local stores, it'll save you about 300 on S&H. If you are limited to B&M stores, the toshiba 40H80 retails at Best buy for 2500 (on sale now for 2200 i think). These are pretty much the only sets i have considered in my price range and I hear nothing but great things about all of them. Can't wait until I get mine !! :) Happing hunting
------------------
_____
Crash
________
"I'm the only stick with eyes!"

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Based on the price I paid back in December said:
I really think you should consider this option. Right now there are some great buys in the CRT market. You can get a very good 8" projector (like a Barco Graphics 800) with low hours for $2500, and you'll get an 8-9' image to die for.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

BryanK

Stunt Coordinator
WILL,
STAY AWAY FROM "CRAZYEDDIE" THE LAST I HEARD HE WAS IN PRISON FOR TAX'S AND SELLING SUB-STANDERD STUFF!!!
HOWEVER YOU CAN USE THAT PRICE TO GET A MATCH AT SEARS!
BEST OF LUCK!!
BRYAN
------------------

TimF

Auditioning
Hey BryanK, do me a favor and turn off you cap-lock. Typing in all caps is considered "shouting" and not desired. Thanks.
------------------
Famous Quote: "I see dumb people"

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Will!
$3000 will get you the 56" Tosh. I paid $3800 for my 65" Tosh (65H80) which included delivery to my home in Maine.
If you are kicking in $3000 wouldnt you be able to sell your old set for $800? (Just a thought). Then have enough to get the 65".
I wouldnt even consider Crazy Eddie. $3000 is below cost. Then add about $450 for his shipping costs. That is if he indeeds ships the product.
Please email me if you want my dealer's name.
Gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
Link Removed
The Family Units

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I really appreciate it. I am constantly surprized by how great everyone here is at helping others make informed purchasing decisions. It is like a personalized consumer reports, thanks again.
I have many conflicting desires when it comes to a new TV. I am a big fan of size, the bigger the better. It gives everything larger than life feel to it and I really enjoy that. I have upgraded my sound system and it feels like it overpowers the screen. The sound seems "bigger" than the picture even with my current 60" TV. Because the TV feels a little small for the room, I worry about going smaller.
On the other hand, picture quality is very important to me. I have a Mits VS-6043 right now, and after I got it calibrated I saw a night and day quality difference. It has a slight red push problem, but it is not too bad. I can't imagine any HDTV not creaming it in the quality department, particularly when watching DVD's. That is a big feature. When you combine that with the fact you can probably use it as a computer monitor it gets even more attractive.
I watch probably 60% cable TV and 40% DVD's. That gives the 4:3 size an edge in priority. I _Love_ 16:9, and think it would make a huge difference when I watch DVD's. According to my calculations if I get a 40"-45" HDTV it will be aprox the same size as a 16:9 image on my 60" RPTV. That makes the HDTV way better for DVD's in my mind. It does take away from the cable TV watching experiance though because I will loose lot's of size. I would also need to worry about the middle of the TV wearing out faster than the edges, though I am not sure if that is really a problem with modern sets or not.
The CRT suggestion really peaked my interest. I have almost complete control of the light in my TV room. That makes FPTV's almost perfect for me. The last time I looked at them I figured I needed to be in the 10-12k range for it to be worthwhile. I don't know if I can apply the 3k towards a used TV or not, but if I can that is definately something to consider. I really want a FPTV, but I really want one that can handle HDTV resolutions, a huge screen, and a computer hookup. Like I mentioned before, that was my end goal, but I was not looking at it as something to get in the next few years. If I could snag a less expensive FPTV that could give me the size and quality I want now and save the HDTV and computer resolutions for a later upgrade.
The company I work for used to give out referal bonus's, they changed the policy recently to giving out HDTV's or if you don't need one, another piece of equipment at around the same value. They said it was to allow us to get the full benift without loosing so much of the bonus to taxes, but regaurdless of why I am pretty pshyched. I could not justify a new TV right now even though I always want to upgrade. This gives me the perfect excuse to do it.
This was a little unexpected so I am still a little overwhelmed by all the possibilities. I just realized that my calculations are off, because the TV is 16:9 that confuses the diagonal size measurements. A 60" 4:3 set is much "taller" than a 60" 16:9 set. I need to get a mental image of the sizes involved with the 16:9 sets. I guess a store run is in the cards for me this weekend. :)
Thanks again!
Will

george king

Supporting Actor
You may want to consider the Sony 53HS10, which can be had over the net for about $2500, or go to Sears and they will price match internet sites.
53" is close to 60", so you are not giving up a huge amount of space. The set also does an automatic squeeze for anamorphic DVD's. The 16:9 area is roughly equivalent to a 48" widescreen set.
This may be a reasonable comprimise. Hope this helps.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
I strongly urge you to consider this approach. There is a huge buyer's market for used CRT projectors right now, due to a lot of corporations and other institutions dumping their CRT's in favor of new digital projectors (a shortsighted move in my view). You can get a CRT projector in very good condition and low hours on the tubes for less than any HDTV. You'll get a much bigger picture and a much more involved cinematic experience.
As an example, I am in the process of getting a CRT projector. I am dealing with a highly respected member of another forum who works with used projectors and he has three Barco Graphics 800 with 1500 hours on the tubes for about $2500 each. These are 8" projectors, capable of 90Khz scan rate, which will display all HDTV formats on up to a 120" screen. These projectors go for over $20000 brand new! Unfortunately I don't have that much cash right now, so I'm settling on a Electrohome ECP-4000 for about $1000. This is a 7" projector that can scan up to 80Khz and will give me a great picture on a 92" screen. This one will do for about 1-2 years when I'll resell it and upgrade to an 8" or 9" projector.
These are the kind of deals you can get in this CRT buyer's market, if you deal with the right person. Stay away from Ebay and people you don't know, as you can get easily burned (pun intended :)) I could refer you to my contact, but I suggest you first got to www.avsforum.com , do a search for username 'Curt Palme' in the CRT Projectors Forum, read his posts and you will see his credentials and numerous references. If you're still interested, e-mail me and I'll give you his phone number.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Jeff_N

Agent
If you are indeed willing to consider a 4:3 set, I got my Sony 61HS10 for $2700 from Best Buy.
I'm impressed with the set, althought I have not been able to get a HD signal in my area yet. I'm still waiting for a SAT-HD100 from Sony! :)

Charles Dodge

Auditioning
The last time I was at the Hi-Fi Buys near my house they had a few of last years 65" Mitsubishi widescreen HDTV-ready sets on a closeout special for about $2800. I didn't check to see the model number.
Similar deals might be available elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks