What's new

Help Choose pre/pro (1 Viewer)

Eric P

Auditioning
I have a budget of about $2000 or less for a new or used processor. It must have proligic II for television, and good two channel sound for cd. I am currently using a B&K ref30 and while it is not a bad processor, the sound just doesn't do it for me like my Aragon Soundstage did. My thinking right now is to either wait for something on the used market, or buy an outlaw 950 and get a decent integrated such as a krell 300i used. Any options would be appreciated, but I am trying to avoid using a receiver as I feel a dedicated processor will generally sound better, and also my wife and I are becoming audio snobs.:D

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
EricP,

How did the aragon sounstage sound to you ?...why did you get rid of it and have you compared the aragon to other pre's ?...I've heard that this piece has incredible dynamic sound, clarity, seperation etc..Please describe sound etc in HT and music is possible..thanks

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
You might be able to get a better pre/pro than the Outlaw 950, but not for $899.00. I like mine quite a lot.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Eric,

Does the $2000 budget include selling the Ref30? If not, realize that it is probably worth at least $1200 on the used market, making your budget closer to $3200. At that price, the Stage One becomes possible. Also at that price I would consider the Anthem AVM-20 and the Integra Research RDC-7.

Michael

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
You might be able to get a better pre/pro than the Outlaw 950, but not for $899.00. I like mine quite a lot.
Well, you MAY be right but I havent came to that conclusion yet as I havent finished trying every single one..The aragon MIGHT just kill the 950 in dynamics,resolution, music etc...I know it doesnt have the new feature set and thats why I would like to talk to somebody who has maybe tried an older more expensive pre-pro to todays cheaper newer feature set pre-pros(examples EAD, aragon, parasound 2500)..these can be had fairly cheap if you keep a lookout..

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
if you can sell the ref30 and increase your budget, you might want to look at the sunfire, awesome 2 channel sound imo

Rich

Eric P

Auditioning
To update all, I now have a b&k ref30 in my system and the wife says it stays for a while once they upgrade it. I went with the ref30 because it sounds pretty good and keeps many of the features I liked about my Aragon. Yes, there are better sounding pre's but they were not within my (wifes) budget. She also hates the sound my old Rotel processor I had hooked up in the time between the Aragon and B&K. While the 1066 is much better I felt the B&k was better.

John,
The Aragon was incredible and did something to the sound I have trouble explaining. First off it did audibly hiss quite a bit. I didn't care, because unlike the B&K, it seemed to fill the room and created a sense of depth to the movie and music. The movies and music no longer seemed to have that one dimensional sound - It was kind of like the old vinyl but not. After my experience, I believe that a processor does make difference in movie listening and would be hard pressed to find a receiver or lesser pre-pro that I could live with.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Eric,
I just purchased the soundstage used(havent received it yet) and am glad to hear about the sonics as this is what I am concerned about. I wonder if your hiss is from your unit or is it inherent in the aragon soundstage ? I have read reviews etc..and havent heard any mention of audible hiss..
I have read that this unit does sound special and I just moved to a smaller ht room so cant really take advantage of 7.1 enough anymore to overcome the benifit of pure sonics of a better 5.1 setup using a higher ended pre-amp...I hope;)

Eric P

Auditioning
John,

I don't think you will be dissapointed. My ref30 is dead quiet, but I would have glady put up with the hiss on the Aragon. The unfortunate part is that patience is virtue that I don't have and just had to have new formats. My ref30 doesn't have them either but will cost less in the long run. I know that the sound should be the most important part but money does come into play sometimes, and am happy for the most part with my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks