What's new

Help! Center Speaker question... (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I am thinking of buying a cheap center-channel speaker for a secondary tv, and the speaker consists of a tweeter, a 6 1/2" woofer, and a 6 1/2" *passive radiator".
Question: What is a passive radiator (what is its function?). And is it a good thing to have one on a center-channel speaker or not?
Thanks!

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting question, as I have an old KEF C-55 that I used to use as a center channel before revamping my system. (The old Pro-Logic days). I bought it used from a dealer as a single speaker, normally it came in pairs and was considered a quality bookshelf speaker at the time.
It consists of two 8" drivers. One is a real driver with the first edition of KEF's Uni-Q design, which incorporated a tweeter within the center of the woofer. (Not quite like the old coaxial speakers, the tweeter in this case is integrated into the center of the woofer just in front of the magnet).
The other is an 8" passive cone.
The advantage is a little more bass on opposite phase signals. The main woofer pushes out to generate sound waves, and also pulls in. Well, when it pulls in the passive cone pushes out (sealed cabinet) generating more sound, if you will. A rather oversimplified explanation.
It worked quite well as a center channel, although I think the directivity of the Uni-Q design was more help than the passive radiator. And the 8" cone gave decent bass.
However, considering the majority of information during movies is coming from the center channel, I would hesitate skimping on it too much. And if possible get something timber matched to the main left and right speakers. Maybe 3 of the same you are considering would work out well for your secondary system.
[Edited last by DaleB on August 11, 2001 at 08:42 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
A PR is a variation on a ported enclosure. As with ported enclosures...a PR tends to extend the bottom end response capability of the enclosure.
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks