Help! Can someone tell me if my amp is bad? thanks!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I have an Harmon Kardon PA5800 5 cha. amp and its been working like a underrated champ for 3 yrs or so. Just got a new center channel (Linn 5120) to match some fronts by Linn and my center channel connection is not working. Could I have fried something by connecting a 4ohm speaker to it? Funny thing is, all my other channels are working normally connected to 4 ohm speakers too! I have tried bi-wire only butno response..i tried to connect it to one of the other channels and it works so my wiring is good. I'm frustrated because I have been doing w/o a center for a while and now this? [​IMG] I was using the phantom mode on my preamp now it looks like I have to go back to that...
    can anyone give me some insight..is it testable (bad channel)? Why would all the other ch. work and not the center when this amp is a 5 channel driven by the same power supply? thanks alot!

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

sorry for the dumb question, but...

are you using a surround mode that utilizes the center channel and have the center channel pre-out properly connected to the amp? Told your processor you have a center channel?

maybe just use the test tones on your processor or 5-channel stereo to test.

3. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

THanks John, but yep I tried all those tests and even reset the preamp. I may have to do a factory defaults setting though to be sure. I dont understand how all the other ch. work well and not the center. It hasn't been used in over a month. Fuse maybe?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Keir i assume you've tried other speakers on that input as well as connecting another interconnect from the pre that you know works.

5. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks again guys, Andrew, I tried that too and I think it is a bad channel on the amp..I'm at a lost to know why though.. Maybe because I connected the speakers to the amp before power off perhaps..maybe it's a fuse..I'll look into it.
    In the mean time, what to do..sacrfice a surround channel to get my center speaker going??? I do have a spare channel from the stereo amp my SVS is hooked up too. Will that work and how? Yes, I am desparate! Thanks![​IMG]