Help!! Can anyone solve this mystery?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PhilS, Jan 6, 2002.

1. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased both Jurassic Park III and Pearl Harbor on DVD. When I play the DD 5.1 tracks on both discs in my main HT, I get an intermittent crackling noise, sounding like radio static, out of the speakers in addition to the dialogue, etc. I do not hear this on the DTS track on either disc. I thought at first it was a problem with the JPIII disc, so I sent it back. Then when I played the Pearl Harbor disc last night, I noticed the problem on that disc as well.

My equpiment consists of two Citation 7.1 amps. a TAG McClaren AV32R pre-pro, a Panasonic H1000 DVD player, and M&K 150THX speakers,with an M&K and SVS sub. The system has worked fine an all DVD's and CD's before this. Also, I have a smaller but decent HT system in the family room, with M&K 750THX speakers, a Toshiba DVD player, and a Yamaha 995 receiver. I do not hear the crackling on either the DD 5.1 track or the DTS track when I play the discs on that system.

I tried switching out the DVD player in my HT with the one from my family room system, and I still get the crackling on the DD 5.1 track in my larger HT, so I guess it's not the DVD player. Also, I have not had a problem with any other DD 5.1 discs. Nor do I have any problems with music CD's. It seems that I only get the crackling in my main HT when I'm playing a DD 5.1 track on a DVD that has both DD 5.1 and DTS

It seems to me it could only be two things. Either I have two bad discs, which seems unlikely, or there is a problem with the AV32R, which also seems strange (why would it not have a problem with other DD5.1 discs?). I suppose it could also have something to do with the SVS sub, which I added just before receiving JPIII, but this seems highly unlikely as well. Does anybody have any clue as to what the problem might be?

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Has your TAG been upgraded for DD-EX playback?
    Even if it hasn't been upgraded, it may be having problems with the DD-EX flags on these disks. Universal is using a copy protection scheme on one of those disks (I can't remember which one) that overwrites the DD-EX flag area and causes problems in DD playback.
    I'd send an email to TAG asking about these issues.
    You can also check out this thread:
    DD-EX playback problems
    BruceD

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Phil, take a look at this ongoing thread here.
    Patrick

4. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

I read that thread before, and I assumed it did not apply. I don't lose any of the dialogue or sound, which seems to me what they mean by "drop outs." Instead, I still hear everything on the soundtrack, but there is just some static or crackling that is added. Maybe they are related though. I have an inquiry into TAG re this problem, so maybe they can help out. I have the next to the latest software in my TAG.

5. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

I downloaded the new software for the TAG, and this seems to have cured the problem. Of all the features to look for in a pre-pro, the ability to download upgrades from the internet to deal with glitches in technology is a real selling point for the TAG.