What's new

Help calibrating JVC D-ILA set (1 Viewer)

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Sorry if this isn't the correct forum. If it's not, please move the question to where it applies.

Thanks to everyone who helped me here, I now own a 56" JVC HD-ILA ( HD-56G786 ). Today I recieved my copy of digital video essentials. Before jumping in and starting my calibration project, I had some questions.

First, has someone posted a guide to using the digital video essentials disk? I've searched but don't seem to find a good one.

My questions are about setting up my TV's various settings PRIOR to starting my calibration. I don't know what needs to be on and what doesn't (for example dynamic gamma). Most of the stuff changes the picture by analyzing the picture and making adjustments to things like color and gamma. I figure if I'm going to calibrate my TV to something close to reference, I want it to be right and I'd hate to do it all and find it's wrong because of something I had enabled which shouldn't have been.

1.) DYNAMIC GAMMA CIRCUITRY. Does this need to be left on or off (default on)? The manual says it

Are those the standard names given to the function they control? detail sounds like "sharpness" to me.

Thanks all for the help. The sooner I get this all lined-out, the sooner I can start calibrating.

-DD

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I would turn off 1-3, I am not familiar with exactly what they do, you can evaluate on test patterns, but they don't sound helpful at all.

and as usual, brightness is black level, contrast/picture is white level (these two interact), tint is color balance or phase, color is saturation, detail is some form of sharpness adjustment.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I bought the same set a couple of weeks ago.

Turn off everything that processes the image. Set your video mode to "dynamic", which will retain your custom settings. Set the color temperature to "low" for D6500K.

Then just follow the instructions on the VE disc as it runs. You'll need to run VE on each input. If your DVD player has HDMI and component color outputs, calibrate the HDMI (even if you're going to use it for a cable or satellite box), then calibrate each of the component inputs and the s-video inputs. (Mind you I haven't gotten around to doing this, in part because the only DVD player I have available right now doesn't have HDMI and I've been real busy redoing my condo. I've been "off" all week and can hardly wait to get back to work because I get more rest there. I think I may be able to take Home Depot off on my taxes as a dependent for this year. :))

Regards,

Joe

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin

1.)I don't have a DVD player with HDMI output. Can I read the calibration results accross from calibrating my component inputs?

2.)I don't think "Dynamic" is the only setting which remembers your custom settings. I think you can calibrate any of the input settings, just some have different color temps for "high" or "low" and different settings behind the scene. And "color temperature" being set to "low" doesn't mean it's at D6500K...The only sure way to be at 6500K is to hit the "theater pro" button, which forces you to be in "theater" mode (based on my research).

But, you think leave the other stuff off? Anyone else think so too?

-DD

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Component is fine. Just understand that as far as I know you'll only be calibrating that component input. If you later connect a device using HDMI that input will not be calibrated.

I haven't used the other settings or tried to adjust them. If both the settings and the inputs can be adjusted independently, that's an enormous number of options. (Number of settings times number of inputs.) I guess I just assumed they were presets. (But you know what happens when you assume...)

When I ran VDE it appeared that the "low" temperature setting on the JVC was meant to correpsond D6500K, hence my suggestion.

Regards,

Joe

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Thanks, Joeseph. Would you care to post your results and the settings you calibrated under and such. I'm going to try various options and see what I can conclude and I'd like to see your settings for reference as well.

If anyone else can help out, please post advice. I appreciate it.

-Dustin

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Well, thus far, the only thing I've figured out is that "natural cinema" is 3:2 pulldown. I think I even understand what that is now. LOL

However, I can not find information anywhere about which setting (standard, dynamic, theater, game) would be best to calibrate to nor which "features" should be left on during calibration or should be turned off for good.

Perhaps I think about things too much (darned engineering mind). But, I was hoping there would be an expert around here who would be able to shed some insight into the subject. Almost everything I know I've learned from people on here. I think I'm probably just making it more complicated than it needs to be. What it boils down to is that I don't want to spend days doing this...there are too many combinations as I see it now and I don't have the time to do that. So, I hope I'm just seeing things wrong.

I did find an article about the 70" 1080P version. In it, he says that he disabled "dynamic gamma" and "smart picture" but that's a different TV. I would have to guess though, that it's close to mine (but I don't know)(http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=4)

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks