[HELP] Buying Used Projector!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by _Jay_, Dec 8, 2004.

1. _Jay_

_Jay_ Agent

I'm a newbie when it comes to projectors. However, I'm looking for a used one. I know bulbs are expensive so I would like to stay at the cheap end of the spectrum.

The only use I'm going to have for it is for displaying images on canvas for an extended amount of time. (I plan on taking images that I create on my computer and then paint them on canvas) I don't need anything super just something that gets the job done. I would like it to support 1024x768 resolution but I'll settle for 800x600. I would really like the colors to show very well since I'll be painting what I'm seeing.

At any rate, any suggestions on how to start looking? What should I be looking for? What price range should I expect? etc. I'm hoping to keep the price below $500 but can understand if I have to go as high as say $800.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The problem with used projectors is that you always have to be prepared to buy a new bulb for it. So add $400 to what ever you buy ...

Regards

3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

You should look into getting an overhead projector and just print out the images onto transparancy paper. It would be a huge waste of money if you bought a digital projector. Not to mention the image quality would be far better with an overhead. You can probably pick one up on ebay for under $100. Replacement bulbs wouldnt cost more than $20.

4. _Jay_

_Jay_ Agent

I totally agree [​IMG] What kind of printer would I need in order to do that? Just any color printer?

5. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

It will work with any printer. The Transparancy paper can be bought at pretty much any store.. Walmart, Target, Compusa, Circuit city, office depot.. you get the idea.

6. Joe Hays

Joe Hays Agent

For this type of application, you are probably going to be better off with a CRT projector. The tube life is usually 10,000 hours so displaying a picture for an extended period would not be a problem.

7. _Jay_

_Jay_ Agent

i had no idea you could hook a computer up to those. cool.. i'll be looking into them as well [​IMG]

8. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

You might want to turn down brightness and contrast way low so you won't burn in the image. I still wouldn't do it.

9. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Jay, I too am an artist and would highly recommend either the overhead idea or if you have a good camera and decent printer you can print it out and take pictures of it and have them developed into slides.....then get a slide projector...which is dirt cheep. I love having slides of my work and keep them in safe dry places......nothing beats having a good hard copy. I have had too many computer issues to want to keep my art stuff of great importance to me on them without a good back up. Burning on discs is nice and safe too but on a slide you can project it on any size.